Hand tremor

Hi everyone I just wondered if any of you ever experience uncontrollable shaking or tremors? I have been getting quite violent tremors/shakes in the muscles at the top of my legs for quite some time now…always at night and always when my legs are particularly restless. Yesterday, however, I experienced a prolonged and very dramatic and uncontrolloable shake/tremor in my right hand which really freaked me out. I was actually with an OT at the time, and had been doing various fine motor skills assessments beforehand. I do often get a shaky feeling in my arms and legs, but it’s hardly ever a visible shake. This just seemed to come completely out of the blue, and the OT seemed as shocked as I was. It really was a very unpleasant experience. It eventually subsided on its own. I was just wondering if anyone else gets anything similar, and if anyone has any idea if this could be an MS symptom?

I also get tremoe in my arms, hands and legs, and the ms nurse has said this is an intention tremor, definitely a ms symptom, and he hasnput me on propranalol to see if it helps.

At the moment I am on a lowish dose, but hope to increase shortly, but it is too early to say if there is improvement.

Perhaps a word with your ms nurse or gp to check.

Pam x

Hi Pam Thanks for your reply. I am still well and truly in Limboland, so don’t have a MS Nurse. I have had this happen in my hand quite mildly a few times before, but this was really dramatic and lasted quite a long time (well, it seemed like a long time to me!). I have also noticed recently that if I try and hold my hand out and keep it still, it starts to move up and down…again, this is something I have no control over. It’s like I said to the OT…it’s not having control over my own body that freaks me out more than anything. I will make sure I mention it to the Neuro in January.

I got it very violently in my left arm whilst having the LP. I thought it maybe sudden flow of adrenalin to my brain as I was nervous about having LP. I also get if I try to excercise or when I am tired.

Hi Medion

That does kind of make sense, as I had been concentrating hard on all these silly little exercises the OT was asking me to do! I was also generally quite tired that day, so that may also have contributed.

I had it again last night after carrying a mug of hot chocolate from one room to another. I could feel it coming on before it manifested itself and made sure I wasn’t holding the hot drink in that hand! My husband witnessed it this time! After it had gone, I noticed that when I went to stir my drink the hand still shook a little.

This morning, I have that shaky feeling inside again, especially in this one arm, and I’ve noticed a slight almost permanent shake in that hand now. As I am typing this, if I stop actually typing my right hand shakes.

I hate not having control over my own body!

Hi Medion

That does kind of make sense, as I had been concentrating hard on all these silly little exercises the OT was asking me to do! I was also generally quite tired that day, so that may also have contributed.

I had it again last night after carrying a mug of hot chocolate from one room to another. I could feel it coming on before it manifested itself and made sure I wasn’t holding the hot drink in that hand! My husband witnessed it this time! After it had gone, I noticed that when I went to stir my drink the hand still shook a little.

This morning, I have that shaky feeling inside again, especially in this one arm, and I’ve noticed a slight almost permanent shake in that hand now. As I am typing this, if I stop actually typing my right hand shakes.

I hate not having control over my own body!

Hi Purpledot,

our symptoms don’t make sense and are even hard for us to believe or bare, but keep going, we are in it together. You are not alone.

Catherine x

I’ve had an on/off (intention?) tremor in my left hand for a couple of weeks now. It’s very bad when I try and use a knife and fork/pick up a pill from the table ect. Fine motor movements I guess? Also when i hold my hand out and spread my fingers, they begin twitching and waving from side to side. No idea what this is, waiting for my brain scan in January. Interesting to see others having similar things.

Purpledot- With the typing thing, me too!!!

xxx

ive been havinng tremors for over a year now they got really bad over the summer

no doctors belived me as whenever i went to an appiontment they had dissapeared!!!

finaly when i had a bad day and collapsed and got taken to A and E they could eventually see my tremors as i had them from top to toe and i am now on propanalol wich has helped

xx

Bunny - I get that a bit, too, except its just my ring fingers on both hands that go from side to side. I have very slightly shaky hands, on and off, not great for someone who makes things for a living. I usually put it down to the anxiety of having lived with an unnamed problem for over 15 months. Purpledot - I sympathise with you being uncomfortable with not having as much control over your body as you used to. I’m sure my symptoms are mild in comparison to some but I have moments when my body does things without my conscious consent! I tend to get an embarrasing pelvic jerk in bed! ‘Sorry hubby, don’t mean to give you the wrong idea’ type of thing!! Did it twice last night (but I did get a gentle, understanding hug). I think I huff with frustration, too. Occasionally, my head has gone side to side, just once. Sort of like a shiver reaction and I’m not always sure its totally involuntary, but if I consciously replicate it, it feels different. Apart from that, I get very twitchy muscles. Mostly in my calves and thighs but also upper arms and sometimes abdomen (my right ankle just did it again, four times. It’s just annoying.Now my left thigh joined in). Time to actively relax!!!