Gabapentin and alcohol?

I have just started gabapentin this week. Only on 1 a day and will eventually increase to 3 daily. It says on the packet do not drink alcohol. Now I’m not a big drinker but if I’m on these long term then it is bound to come up. When I do drink I would only take alco-pops but is this a big no no?

im not sure about drinking alcohol as it makes me ill anyway, but as far as i know so far every medication tells you not to drink alcohol anyway, but i dont think that 1 or 2 drinks will actually do anything as its only alco pops

Hi,

When I was on Gabapentin, the Neuro said it was fine to drink alcohol as long as I was sensible and didn’t drink silly amounts . I did occasionally have a few more drinks than he suggested and I was ok.

Fizzy x

Morning, I agree with Fizzy, I ask the same question, just be sensible.

Jean x

People are horrified that my evening dose is often washed down with whatever alcoholic drink I have to hand.It seems daft to get up for some water when its only going to be surrounded by alcohol when it hits the stomach.

The only way you will know if it affects you badly is trial and error.

I do have to say it was ages after starting baclofen that my body agreed to tolerating alcohol with it but gabapentin was fine.

Pip

i had no problem with gabapentin and alcohol but tizanidine and alcohol made me give up drinking!

i think its trial and error really.

carole x

Hiya

When I was taking Gabapentin I had no problems in having the odd glass or two of wine. When I mentioned this to my MS Nurse she said it would be fine but to stay away from the spirits which is fine as I don’t go near spirits anyway,

Good luck and take care.

Shazzie xx

Hiya

When I was taking Gabapentin I had no problems in having the odd glass or two of wine. When I mentioned this to my MS Nurse she said it would be fine but to stay away from the spirits which is fine as I don’t go near spirits anyway,

Good luck and take care.

Shazzie xx

Thanks everyone. Might just have to try a glass our two this weekend :slight_smile: