Forum

Feel Broken

Phone my daughter earlier to complain. I went out with her and others yesterday and I went to get up today and discovered I am BROKE. We went to the Broadstair folk week camme back knackered but happy but today I dont work!!!

As I told her I am broke I cant stand my legs hurt and painkillers aint touching it, I only sat in the wheelchair but the MS Gremlin has come to visit.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that Don, hope you have rested today and feel loads better tomorrow.

You reminded me of something a Great Aunt of mine used to say when something or someone disappointed her…“my hearts broke” it always made me smile as it was said in a lighthearted way as if whatever had happened or been said wasn’t very important.

Jan x

2 Likes

Hope you are feeling better today Don?

My MS gremlin always hates me going out…loves to make me suffer afterwards!

Nina x

2 Likes

Oh Don, rest is called for now, its a right pain in the a++ .

I will be joining you tomorrow, as we are going out to lunch, and I shall have to smile and keep talking to the others, and I already know the end result.

Such a small thing to do, but I am already knackered, and that’s just getting me “glad rags” on, hey ho, ms has a lot to answer to.

Take care

Pam x

2 Likes

Hi Pam

Same for me, we are going out to lunch as well.

On a lighter note, I was telling my grandson about the legend of Greyfriars Bobby as they are in Edinburgh this weekend and I have just been tagged on face book with a picture of him beside the statue. So he does listen to what I say, sometimes.lol!

Enjoy your lunch and I really hope you are not too bad tomorrow.

Don, hope you are having a better day today.

Mags xx

2 Likes

Don I hope you’re feeling better!!!

It’s so hard to believe that sitting still all day when out somewhere can cause you to be SO ill and tired afterwards. Everytime I go anywhere I’m ill either next day or the day after that… every single time… but when I’m actually out I can’t believe it will happen.

Weird.

MS is bloody weird (thought for the day).

Pat xx

4 Likes

I’m so glad I’ve found this forum, right now, I’m finding I’m doing hardly anything and I’m completely exhausted and so sore. It’s so hard to explain to everyone else!

Next Saturday I am due to catch up with my oldest friend who I haven’t seen since I was diagnosed and part of me is dreading the exhastion that comes after. Right now I’m doing well to get up and get ready and help make dinner later. Does that sound daft?

Anyway, got to go visit my mother who wants me to sit and pretend I’m fine … Gahhhh.

Enjoy your sunday evyerone xxx

Polly

1 Like

Don, I hope the trip to Broadstairs was worth it. I’ve played there several times, such a nice family festival. Just rest up, buddy.

I’m resting up too, except I’m tired and down because we had a row (over nothing, of course) yesterday. It just left me desolate.

Always a better day tomorrow!

1 Like

Hi Polly, you’re certainly not alone with this one… both in dreading seeing an old friend or dreading the exhaustion afterwards.

I dread having to do anything… it’s a case of biting the bullet and trying not to over-do it… and making sure you have nothing planned for the next few days.

As for your mother… well it’s probably too late now as it’s lunchtime already… but you have to refuse to pretend everything is ok. Your mother is a grown up. She’ll survive. She will in time get used to it… but not if you keep hiding the fact that you’ve got MS.

However hard it is… you HAVE TO talk about it to her or in front of her… this is something that you are living with and she is going to have to like it or lump it. That sounds hard I know… but believe me in the long run it will be easier.

Same with your old friend… don’t let your MS be the elephant in the room. Talk about it. Tell her what it’s like. Tell her that you need her to accept it as you are trying to accept it.

It’s hard but we have to say it out loud whether people want to hear it or not.

Pat xx

2 Likes

quote=Snow Leopard]

Hi Polly, you’re certainly not alone with this one… both in dreading seeing an old friend or dreading the exhaustion afterwards.

I dread having to do anything… it’s a case of biting the bullet and trying not to over-do it… and making sure you have nothing planned for the next few days.

As for your mother… well it’s probably too late now as it’s lunchtime already… but you have to refuse to pretend everything is ok. Your mother is a grown up. She’ll survive. She will in time get used to it… but not if you keep hiding the fact that you’ve got MS.

However hard it is… you HAVE TO talk about it to her or in front of her… this is something that you are living with and she is going to have to like it or lump it. That sounds hard I know… but believe me in the long run it will be easier.

Same with your old friend… don’t let your MS be the elephant in the room. Talk about it. Tell her what it’s like. Tell her that you need her to accept it as you are trying to accept it.

It’s hard but we have to say it out loud whether people want to hear it or not.

Pat xx

[/quote]

Polly this with your mother made me feel worse than I already do I wish I could talk to her and explain the facts of life. G\RR\RR

Sorry about typos in bed with laptop and it just easier to lEave them in if I go back and try and fix them they get even worse. Hope you had a nice lunch and I hope you friend now knows all about MS as for MUM you need to sit her down and havE a heart to heart with her. Don

1 Like

Kev, sorry you are low today…rows, well any sort of upset send me spiraling down too…takes a lot of energy doesn’t it.

chin up…would tell you,a joke if I knew any !

Nina x

1 Like

Hi Polly,

I so agree with Pat…it’s no good trying to make everyone around you feel better about your illness. You need the support they can offer.

You will probably find , as a lot of us have, that some friends slip quietly away… Those are the fair weather friends…the ones that are keepers are the real friends. Always remember that whilst it might be hard for your friends and your family it’s nowhere near as hard as it is for you.

I guess you have already gone to lunch so I will just say hope you don’t feel too bad when you get home and good luck when you meet up with your friend…let us know how it goes and remember we have all been there so have a good old moan on here if you need to…we shall all be here to back you up.

Remember it’s early days for you yet…it’s a hard time and you may not think it yourself but you are doing so well…you’ve had masses going on what with telling your children etc.

like you new picture!

Nina x

Hi Don, I did mail but it’s not on! Big Hugs sent to you, how dare you think you can enjoy yourself and not suffer for it!!, I,m also ending some majic superglue to unbreak you. Hope your feeling better today.

Pauline xxx

2 Likes

Know how you feel Kev, had a difference of opinion with my hubby on Friday. I felt so down all day that I had to send him a text to apologise. But what I don’t understand is why is it always me that apologises? Is I a man thing?

We will have been married 36 years on Tuesday and I really can’t remember him ever apologising and I am always in the right.

Still, don’t know what I would do without him. (Well most of the time)

Mags xx

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Don, I’m so sorry I came in on your post, I agree with Pauline if I could mend you I would too. Well lunch with my Mum went as expected, when the time came to talk to her she scuttled out the room as quick as she could, it was like a comedy act, but to my surprise, my dad sat down and asked all about what it meant and I explain what type I had, he had no idea there was different types. He asked how it’s going to effect me short term, long term, medications, treatments, conventional and non cinventional. He was really wonderful, like he was happy there was an answer to all my problems, and something he could “google” as he put it. He said he will, look into it and that made me feel so much better.

Its the first time in my life I have ever had this kind of support, it was fabulous.

I now kind of know how to talk to my friends from now if they ask etc.

I came home and slep for 2 hours though, I was so sore I couldn’t think, I just took meds and lay down and can’t remember the rest, soon the ONSIE was on and I’ve taken my night time meds and I feel much better with things. You all really are a fabulous amazing lot of people, you have all helped me so much

Polly xxxx

2 Likes

Well done Polly… and well done your dad. He’ll talk to your mum about it.

Night night… that was a good day… it’s the start of getting your family to understand and support you.

Pat xx

1 Like

Polly that’s great news can I suggest you get your mum alone in the kitchen and give her a great big hug. I don’t know why but this popped into my mind. When I was first diagnosed my old doctor see me and he said something along the lines of this “whenever you have come to me before I have stuck a plaster on you and fixed you up and sent you on your way, I can’t fix your MS”

I have just thought of your mum as my doctor he was genuinely upset he couldn’t fix me and I just got that feeling that your mum who has coped with grazed knees to broken hearts is now feeling let down because she cannot fix you with a sticking plaster and make you all better. Please tell her from me it’s an adventure where we all play a part we didn’t actually like the roles we were given, it’s a bit like being the inn keeper when you wanted to be a shepherd. That’s another memory from deep in the pit of junk I thought I had forgotten. Mum has always been able to say it will be alright, this time she don’t know. None of us do that’s what makes it such an adventure that should be with a capital A.

Tell dad there is lots on Google but he might want to take up knitting fog because this s@@t is different every one of us, it going to be a frustrating Adventure for all of you.

Don XXX

Don and Pat, thank you so much. I didn’t see it from that point of view before, and now you said it my dad used to be a detective Sargent CID, and he sat me down and asked questions just as he would have done for work! I didn’t even think about that till now, ask questions, then investigate!

I’m a mum myself and you’ve hit the nail on the head I would feel the same, I want to protect my kids forever from everything, I did go down to her chair before leaving and gave her a big squishy hug, ill phone her as normal and see how she’s doing, she doesn’t keep well herself. I think they were used to me telling them every doctors appointment and things and this time we didn’t want to worry them until we had a definite dx.

And Don your so very right it’s some adventure, it’s like a ride at the shows that you can’t get off, I’m just glad my hubby’s still beside me on it, we’re learning about it very slowly, as the information is pretty vast, but it’s just good to know that things I’ve been going through aren’t just me, there’s an army of people like me, worse than me, different to me, but all in the same MS shaped boat. That’s helped me so much.

Polly xxx

1 Like

Morning Polly,

Tried to post last night but the gremlins were at work again! I could read your post but not reply.!

Don seems to gave hit the nail on the head…well done Don!

Its hard to be a mum and be unable to kiss a problem better. I am sure with your dad’s help she will come to understand.

Sometimes parents can have such a hard time coming to terms with something like this and I have even read that sometimes they blame themselves.

I hope within time she will be your staunchest supporter,

Nina x

1 Like

Polly, I’m really pleased for you. Your dad will surely now gently break it all to your mum. You can let your friends catch up at their own speed, as long as your family are with you.

Don’s analogy of being the innkeeper when you want to be the shepherd is brilliant!

Kev x

1 Like