Forum

Fatigue, yawn

Why has my fatigue dwindled into something we might consider normal?

I have no idea.

I have been focusing on diet but is that the answer?

Can dairy be that evil?

I don’t miss the dairy stuff but I think the whole business is so individual, one cannot formulate a universal set of rules.

It beats me but I’m not complaining.

Steve

My own experience pre-diagnosis was cutting out gluten meant I woke up in the morning far easier than I ever had before… given the diagnosis etc. I’ve never gone back to eating it full time since. I may have just something small ike a cereal bar with oats in and some weekends we might get a take-out and eat regular pizza or naan bread but I’m prepared for the fact that eating a high gluten item may leave me feeling a bit hungover the next day.

My half-sister is also a migraine sufferer and she’s tried out quite a lot of things but seriously, her after just a few weeks of going dairy free, is now her going out without make-up because her skin looks so good and previous problems just evaporated. So yes, I think it could easily be that evil for you. I might be tempted to try it myself but it’d take quite a bit of planning, my poor husband has to contend with all the cooking already.

Sonia x

Four years ago I was medically retired, about eighteen months in I started feeling human again. Now when I’m fatigued I can simply put my feet up and rest. Retirement did wonders for my fatigue. Jan x

1 Like

My tiredness and lethargy are bad at the moment . I try to push through it but I feel like in quick sand. I make to do lists most days , usually just simple things like make a couple of phone calls, plan tea and even things like shower get dressed and put makeup on can be on my list . I still feel tired but feel like I’ve achieved something. There are days when I stay in my dressing gown all day and crave chocolate. I love chocolate but too much leaves me feeling very lethargic. Michelle and Frazer xx

There is a fascinating series running at the moment on Radio 4 called The Second Genome. It explores how the microbes within and on our bodies, called the second genome, affects our metabolism and health. It also looks at gut health and how it affects our immune system. One episode suggests that improving gut health may reduce the need for antibiotic usage. There are many areas for further research which may even turn up interesting news for us MS sufferers.

Perhaps the hipsters are right to focus on gut health by eating kimchi and drinking kefir. A recent study has accepted that there are health benefits from drinking kefir such as reducing blood pressure and ameliorating the symptoms of chronic conditions such as IBS.

My wife makes a mean kimchi and a vegan kefir from hemp or coconut milk.

Since I started following the Swank diet about a year ago, and adding kimchi and kefir, my level of alertness has definitely improved. I have also kicked the habit of an afternoon nap as I no longer need it. Naturally, there are other factors to consider such as regular exercise, my use of Biotin and CBD products.

Having listened to the first two episodes of the series, the case for improving gut health is a strong one. I would recommend a listen, if you can.

Happy listening and treble kefirs all round.

Alun