Face tingling on left side

I’m due to have a brain and spine MRI and a spinal tap for suspected MS. I’m also a lupus sufferer. In the past two weeks I’ve had two episodes of face tingling on the left side - they usually last about a day and then disappear. First time this happened I went to A&E thinking I’m having a TIA but they looked me over, checked weakness on that side of the body (none) and sent me home with naproxen saying it must be trigeminal nerve inflammation of some sort and that if it persists to go to the neurologist. The second time it happened was last night and it is still going on now, together with vaginal parasthesia too.

I don’t know what to do. I called the GP and I’m waiting for a call back. I have no weakness in my limbs, just these two weird symptoms. I’ve tried to reach my neurologist but he’s away until next week. If I go to A&E they’ll do the same as last time. The hospital has an MS nurse but as I haven’t been diagnosed with MS yet, I’m not sure I can call upon him. And if I do, what can he tell me other than wait for the MRI which has not yet been made appointment for (NHS being NHS).

I’m not sure what I’m asking you for either - probably I’m scared because it is the first time when the prospect of having MS has become real. But any suggestions are welcome.

Tingling and numbness (both forms of paraesthesia) are very common symptoms with MS - and possibly other MS-like illnesses.

They are not dangerous in themselves, so you do not really have to “do” anything, as it’s not a medical emergency. Calling the GP to get it on record that it’s happened is a reasonable course of action, but it doesn’t require urgent intervention.

You probably will be told to wait for the MRI - but reporting you have active symptoms may at least bring some focus on it that you need that scan appointment!

There is no effective treatment - that I know of - for numbness, but if the tingling is very distressing, there are drugs that might dampen that down. Personally, if it was more of an annoyance, rather than painful, I’d probably just live with it.

MS itself is not a medical emergency. Serious, yes, but urgent, no. It’s a chronic condition, which makes it very unlikely to result in a sudden, life-threatening situation.

Hope this helps,

Tina

I am to awaiting my MRI on monday for suspected MS. I often have pins and needles and tingling on the left side of my face normally above my top lip, it comes and goes intermittently. I also have it down the right side of my body. I find it more of an annoyance than anything. That along with the feeling of ants crawling on me is horrible! Hope it goes away soon for you x

Thank you both for your responses. Tina, very useful information - and you’re right, GP said wait for neuro appointment as this might be scary to me but for neurology this would not be classified as an emergency (as you said already). But the neuro’s secretary called me back today and promised that an MRI has been expedited for me and she will speak to my neurologist on Monday when he is back from hols and see if he wants to see me earlier than March. I’m used with pins and needles as part of lupus but this time the sensory issues are too weird, so I’m a bit freaked out, hence the need to get stuff organised ASAP! My GP (who took 2 years to refer me to a rheumatologist for the lupus because he believed all the symptoms were due to anxiety) said that these pins and needles and numbness is unlikely to be MS. As if he would know. Thank you both again.

just a thought - have you been tested for lymes? a friend of mine said one of her symptoms was numbness in half the face. Theres a v good charity for more info - lymes Disease action.

I’ve read that you can get tingling,numbness with lupus though - sounds likely it could be the lupus? have you spoken to your rheumy?

just a thought - have you been tested for lymes? a friend of mine said one of her symptoms was numbness in half the face. Theres a v good charity for more info - lymes Disease action.

I’ve read that you can get tingling,numbness with lupus though - sounds likely it could be the lupus? have you spoken to your rheumy?

No,MS Yet.I,have had face tingling for 2 months an and off.Also,once a tear drop feeling,nothing there.Not,sure why it skips a day or so.