Exercises for weakness in leg ..

Good morning everyone… Can I ask if anyone has any advice for exercises to strengthen upper leg … Thank you in advance…

Hi Tally

Pilates is brilliant and especially good for people with MS.

It focuses on strengthening the core but is a good work out for the whole body.

If your core is strong it helps your balance.

Upper legs would strengthen with squats.

I used to do all these but in recent years my MS has got a lot worse.

Good luck x

1 Like

To be honest, I think getting a physio to check you out and identify specific areas of muscle weakness is probably the best idea, because it could be your hip, quads, hamstrings, glutes, or possibly all of them.

A good start is the simple sit to stand.

Sit to stand | MS Trust

2 Likes

thank you CatwomanCarole … did you go to a pilate class or can you get exercises via the web ?

Thank you whammel, I am doing something that I guess is more in the region of helping than NOT … I am standing on my left leg for 1 minute, then sitting down… I am thinking that at least I am doing something to help matters. The sit to stand I can do far more than trying to balance on 1 leg, so thank you, I will do that.

Obviously we cant visit the physio as yet, so we have to do something dont we !

Thank you.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more and whatever we can manage is an awful lot better than doing nothing. It might be worth investing in a resistance band, as the seated leg press should help. This site has plenty of home exercise ideas to keep you busy.

Seated Resistance Band Exercises | Ability Bow

If balance is an issue, I can recommend even the more basic these core strength exercises.

core-stability-exercise-programme-2011-update.pdf (mstrust.org.uk)

3 Likes

Hi, In my early days, not knowing how serious my condition would turn out to be, I thought gaining weight was causing my slowness and bought a running machine…of course foot drop had it`s own agenda and all I did was face plant the moving floor…not nice!

It causes a titter now when I think about it!

Boudsx

1 Like

Thanks Whammel for that info. I am going to give it a try too. Good luck all who gave a go. Anne

1 Like

whammel cracked it Tally. Any resistance exercise can be useful. If you get a resistance band you can get someone to secure it so you can do stuff even if you can not grip.

I use an exercise bike but this is not an option for everyone.

Good luck

Mick

1 Like

one of the most effective exercises for legs and bum is to hold on to something firm (for dear life!) and do some squats.

I agree with others that Pilates is good. I’m a beginner, and have been learning from this free NHS video since the lock-down 1.0. It is aimed at absolute beginners like me. Definitely helps with balance and core strength. That doesn’t address your leg directly, maybe. But I find (am finding - fingers crossed) that, even if systems damaged by MS (like a weak leg, in your case and mine) are not capable of improving much in themselves, strengthening the bits around them that do work - and everything’s connected to everything else - can help with stability and even make a tiny improvement in walking range. Of course, if that happens, you’re then in a virtuous circle in which being able to walk a little bit better and further will also help to strengthen the things that are amenable to being strengthened. :slight_smile:

Alison

2 Likes

Spot on Alison and marginal gains do add up and make a difference in the end.

1 Like

I’ve been trying a range of exercises recently, for leg weakness which has also had a big impact on my knees. I’ve tried ones for MS, for Parkinson’s, for the elderly, but whilst they helped in some ways they also seemed to aggravate other issues. Then I tried the following:

They are for knee osteoarthritis but the best way to support the knee is by strengthening your leg muscles. These seem to work (and importantly also stretch) most of the leg muscles, and are for the most part not difficult. Some of the exercises are the standard ones that physiotherapists use for those with hip and leg problems (I recognise them from when I attended a hip and leg class about 10 years ago - for neck issues - don’t ask!)

Core strength exercises are also very important. Some of the ones in my link above will help the core but there are other exercises more dedicated to the core.

You may have to trial a number of exercises, and figure out which suit you best. We’re all a bit different.

Alas, your point is a good one: once one’s gait is permanentlywonky, exercise can cause (and then aggravate) the sort of mechanical stresses and strains on joints and soft tissues that come from a system that simply can’t work smoothly any more. As so often with MS, it’s a matter of getting as a fair balance moment-to-moment in a fundamentally unstable and thoroughly sub-optimal situation! MS is a total pisser, and I’m feeling particularly grumpy about that this morning, so thank you for giving me an opportunity to let off steam! :slight_smile:

Alison

Alison MS reality makes our occasional rants valid. My “today special” involved going back to sleep every time I woke up today.

i finally rolled out of bed at 11:45, and when I had finally managed to get dressed and finished my ablutions more than half the flippin’ day has gone and none of my chores have magically done themselves. Hardly worth a rant but thought I would share the sentiment anyway. Hope we have a better (less grumpy) day tomorrow

mick

1 Like

Thank you, Mick. A grumble shared is a grumble halved. And my chores haven’t done themselves either.

Alison

Sooooo sorry for late reply… I decided to go to private physiotherapy opposed to waiting months for NHS appointment, despite the fact it was via zoom, at least I was advised on the correct exercises … thank you for all your replies, I appreciate them all and once again, sorry for taking sooooo flippin long to reply. Ohhhh and I’ve started with the double vision … again Mind you, I shouldn’t complain really coz it’s been 12 years since I had it… Que Sera Sera