EMG tests

Has anybody had experience of the EMG test. I had one yesterday and am battered and bruised today with lumps and bumps where the needles went in. I have, apparently, muscle weakness down the right hand side. He didn’t say anything else so presumably will just have to wait to see the consultant to see what this means. At least he did say it was not carpal tunnel so that’s something else to add to the long list of what I do not have!

ihave had 2 EMGs in both my left and right legs. The first guy who did it was rough and literally stabbed the needles into me which made me bleed and left bruises, the 2nd guy was so gentle I barely felt the needles go in and had no marks to show for it, Guess it allepends on the skill of the person doing it.

mm i got one next week

I had one (not pleasant) but he said he couldn’t tell me anything and that I would have to see the neurologist. Did you ask him/her? or did they just tell you? Ha d letter 7 days later to make appt with neurologist and now have appt Nov 11th. How long did everyone else have to wait to discuss their results after the EMG as I’m not sure if it’s s a good sign or bad sign and wouldn’t they have told me during the test if there was something wrong? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I had one (not pleasant) but he said he couldn’t tell me anything and that I would have to see the neurologist. Did you ask him/her? or did they just tell you? Ha d letter 7 days later to make appt with neurologist and now have appt Nov 11th. How long did everyone else have to wait to discuss their results after the EMG as I’m not sure if it’s s a good sign or bad sign and wouldn’t they have told me during the test if there was something wrong? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi Selby

Long story really. My consultant referred me to another hospital for the test ages ago. Had follow up appointment but not the test! After over 20 phone calls (that I had to make) finally got an appointment for the test. Think that because it took so long the chap doing the test was quite chatty and informative. Lots of other people kept coming in during my test to ask him questions and show him results so he was obviously knowledgeable or at least more knowledgeable than other members of staff. He did say the nerves were fine but there was a marked weakness in my muscles. He asked whether I had MRI scan and said he would be sending the results to my consultant. I have another follow up appointment in about 5 weeks. He actually was able to tell me what some of my symtoms were just by watching the screen during the tests. Fascinating.

Ohhhhhh, I have one soon. Got to ring for the appointment tomorrow. I know they said it was painful but I did not think they out needles into you, I thought they were going to put pads on my skin… Keep calm Yvette X

hi Yvette

Dont worry if you are just having the nerve conduction test it is only sticky pads only if they progress to the EMG are needles used. You can see a demo of the test if you google it. It wasn’t that bad just that I have quite spectacular bruises - good job it is trouser and long sleeve weather. I had a chiropractor appointment but have had to cancel because I look such a sight even the other half has said he hopes nobody thinks he is responsible!