Edit

Hi all

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but with me brain fog hanging around, I so miss the edit button.

Is there any chance of having it reinstated please moderators?

If not, apologies to all for my constant mistakes.

Pam x

2 Likes

I’d love that too

Sonia x

1 Like

Not a perfect solution, but you can delete the whole post and make a few changes, which is easy enough to do if you use copy & paste.

Failing that, I doubt anyone bothers much about the odd mistake, because we are all in the same boat.

5 Likes

I remember the Mod’s gave a reason why it was taken off… but can’t remember the reason.

Whammel’s idea seems best… but really I don’t think any of us care if there are mistakes or spelling mistakes or anything. We all make mistakes Pam and I don’t think it’s important.

Your posts however ARE important!!!

Pat xx

2 Likes

Thanks Whammel for this, but copy and paste is like a foreign language to me, sorry have no idea how to do that!

It’s just that the edit button was really good, especially for computer novices like me.

Hope you are doing OK.

Pam x

1 Like

Thanks Pat, I shall keep posting, no worries there, it just made it so easy to correct mistakes.

Hope Dickie is settling in.

Pam x

1 Like

Thanks Sonia

Pam x

1 Like

Pam,

You don’t have to worry about mistakes…I’m too fogged up to even notice and even if I did it’s the last thing that matters!

I’m sure everyone feels the same…we’d rather have you with the odd mistake than not have you at all and we all do it!

take care of yourself,

Nina xx

3 Likes

Thanks Nina for your kind words. I have looked on the internet at Whammels suggestion about how you copy and paste on a tablet, but with this tremor I don’t seem to be able to “drag” things, so will just carry on making mistakes lol

No sun here today, but no rain either.

Pam x

1 Like

I’ve done it whammel’s way a couple of times, it works fine. Highlight the text, right click ‘Copy’, - then Delete the whole post, right click and ‘Paste’ it back as a new post, then edit and post.

Sorry Pam skippysprite, I can’t help with a Tablet, but don’t worry about the odd mistake, I know I’ve made one or two.

2 Likes

Thanks Ben, I am not going T o worry about it anymore.

Pam x

1 Like

I agree Pam. I hate spelling mistakes I make but I’m not bothered by those anyone else makes. Except those in official letters, they really wind me up. Seeing as everyone’s said they’ll accept our errors I suppose we shouldn’t stress about it. My spell checker is the worst culprit for my errors sadly…

Cath x

2 Likes

I miss it as well, my mate on the blogs writes stuff out in Word and the posts it I can’t be asked, I don’t mind typos it makes reading more amusing. Xxx

5 Likes

Thanks Cath, I agree about mistakes, hiits home hard when you have gone from a good shorthand typist to someone who can’t control their hands, they seem to have a will of their own, hey ho could be worse.

Hope you and your daughter are doing OK.

Pam x

1 Like

Hi Don

Keep doing your blogs I so enjoy reading them, mistakes or not.

Hope you’re doing OK

Pam x

2 Likes

I have been studying typos for a couple of years - both mine and others.

Having been a two-fingered typist, historically I only made two types of mistake, and more or less cured myself of those.
Now, they have come back, along with some others.
The thing that really got me was watching a finger come down on the wrong key, knowing it was going to happen, and not being able to stop it.

I have always used Ctrl-C to copy, and Ctrl-V to paste - means you can work with both hands.
Now, with a bad tremor in the left hand, it does not always work so well!

Keep posting

Geoff

2 Likes

Thanks Geoff

That’s why I make mistakes, I cannot control my tremor, so my fingers just hit the keys Willy nilly, and I can’t stop them so frustrating, but I am still going to contribute to the forum, with or without my mistakes.

Take care and have a lovely weekend.

Pam x

1 Like

Geoff,

Does this forum make you copy and paste into a stupid box, rather than straight into the post?

I can use a normal cut/copy & paste everywhere except here. Here, it says something to the effect that my security settings don’t allow access to the clipboard.

Obviously, my security settings here are the same as they are anywhere else in cyberspace - I certainly haven’t set custom rules for this site only, because I regard it as a special risk or something.

So I’m baffled why settings that are fine everywhere else restrict access to the clipboard here.

Tina

Hi Tina

I am writing this in Word, ready to do a copy-and-paste into the forum.

If it does not work, you will get a reply written in the normal reply box.

Geoff

Some forums allow it, some don’t. The downside is it has the potential for abuse. E.g. someone posts something highly inflammatory - a “trolling” post, basically - waits for a big fight to erupt, and then edits their post to look like butter wouldn’t melt, so it looks like the people who retaliated are all insane!

I use other forums where the edit window is only 15 minutes or so, so fine for correcting that mistake you see the instant you’ve posted, but doesn’t let you wait 'til 50 people have joined the bunfight, and then change what you said altogether!

Even the latter is not an insurmountable problem if the forum logs edits, and appends a timestamp to edited posts. It’s then immediately obvious if the OP went back and changed something after a number of people had already replied.

In forums where it’s allowed, it’s usually considered good manners to include a note explaining what you’ve edited and why, as this avoids confusion. Nobody minds: “Edited: fixed a typo.”

Or: “Edited: I’ve just realised my above suggestion wouldn’t work”, or something like that. But if you change things without explaining why, it can render entire threads nonsensical, because they’ve responded to what you originally said, and not your edited version.

Tina

x

2 Likes