DVLA - driving licence and towing caravan

Hi, this is my first post as I am new to this and I am looking for help and advice for a friend who has recently been diagnosed with MS.

Can someone help explain if my friend will still be able to tow his caravan due to the diagnosis? He has just informed the DVLA of his MS and is awaiting a reply.

He had ON back in 2016 which resulted in a diagnosis of MS from an MRI scan. He has had no further symptoms of MS and is not on any medication. He has only seen a consultant and has never had to visit his GP for his MS. Will the DVLA restrict his licence so he will no longer be able to tow a caravan? I have read some previous posts regarding a 3 year licence but it’s the towing part of his licence that he is concerned about.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have just had my licence back from the DVLA, on a 3 year medical, and I have category BE valid on mine which, from the .gov.uk website means

Category BE

You can drive a vehicle with a MAM (Maximum authorised mass) of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

• before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer
  • on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg

So it will depend on whether they get the BE category on theirs when it is returned.

I did loose at least two catergories from mine C1, vehicles up to 7.5t, and D1, minibus up to 15 seats.

Same as MS2017, just had my license back and same categories have been taken away.

BE category, like MS2017 says depends when you was first issued with a license.

From what you’ve explained I would suggest the your friend will have a 3 year medical license with the same categories removed.

The BE category will however depend when he /she first obtained their full license.

Ditto Jactac. Incidentally my ms journey mirrors your friend. DVLA automatically take off the ability to drive 7.5 lorries and minibuses, but you can apply to have them reinstated following further investigations as to your capability. I didn’t bother, which means I can’t now drive my friends horse box - but as I only did that once in the last couple of years it’s not a problem. As to whether your friend will still be able to tow the caravan- it will depend on its size.

Thank you for all your replies. I will let him know what you have all said.