Driving licence

Hi all I went to see my doctor yesterday to talk about a letter I had received from my specialist, which said I had lesions on my spine. I asked my doc if this would lead to a diagnosis and he said yes. My question for you guys is; I have a car and motor bike licence, could either of these be effected if I am diagnosed? Thanks Emma

Hi Emma You need to inform the DVLA if you have a diagnosis of MS. They will then seek ifo from your GP and specialist. In most cases thy issue a license for 1 or 3 yrs and not the standard 10. Look at and follow links Mike

Yes thats right. You will need to inform the DVLA.

I did this a couple of months ago and it lead to me having to do a driving assessment. That was this morning and the assessor could not have been nicer. He said that they were not here to take liciences off people but to try and keep people driving as long as they could. If this means adaptions then that would be recommended.

He checked my eyesight, reflexes then I had to drive for 20 mins.

He also said that they know MS has good days and bad days and therefore as long as people use common sence and don’t drive on those days then it would be fine.

I don’t see any reason why you would not be able to drive unless your eyesight was very badly affected.

Lindsay x

hi emma

i was dx with rrms beginning of march and had to inform dvla…got letter back saying i’m going on to a 3 year license

the only difference i could see was i can’t drive 31/2 ton lorries anymore!!

don’t know about motorbike license though


Hi Baz How long was it from telling the DVLA until they told you. Mike

It was 4mnths for me but you can continue to drive during that time.


Thanks Pip Mike

hi mike

think it took about 8weeks from telling them to getting letter informing me about their decision…posted back last week so just waiting for new one to arrive