Does anyone take methadone

I’ve have been offered Methadone for pain and was wondering if anyone has experience of it?

Hope everyone is as well as can be,

Take care,

Nina x

Hi Nina, somebody on here uses Methadone… wish I could remember who!

Hopefully they will see your post.

Hope you’re doing ok?

Pat xx

1 Like

Hopefully it’ll be seen soon, like Pat says, it rings bells with me too so I’ll try to remember!

Sonia x

1 Like

Thank you both!

Be good to get some first hand views.

Hope you’re both as ok as possible?

Nina x

2 Likes

I’m good thanks, I have news actually so I’ll post that shortly

Sonia x

1 Like

Sonia I’ve also heard someone on here mention methadone. I take morphine and I’m not sure how similar they are, but I hope this is noticed by someone who can help.

Cath x

1 Like

Thanks Cath,

I think to be honest they are pretty similar…just that my GP seems to prefer methadone. Yours is syrup if I remember correctly? This will be a tablet once a day but first I have to ease myself off LDN because it blocks any form of opiate from working.

It’s a shame because the LDN has been a godsend for my bowels and bladder.

Seems to be a case of choosing between pain or incontinence but my doctor is going to give me something called Duloexetine which is another one of those meds like amytriptaline that was originally for something else…he’s hoping it will help with the incontinence.

Has your daughter had any results back yet…it must be a very difficult time for you. I know from when my grandson was being tested for MS…it turned out to be ME, which is a nightmare for an eleven year old.

Hope you are as well as possible,

Nina x

2 Likes

Thanks Nina. You’re right, it is very difficult waiting for Jen’s results. Her blood results for Coeliac disease appear to have been lost in the system and the LP for MS isn’t ready yet either. I’m finding it very difficult but Jen has suddenly started worrying too as she heard that she’s very deficient in iron and folic acid. I got my dx through severe anaemia as I wasn’t absorbing it, so she’s panicking. Thanks for asking.

I take Zomorph 60mg morning and night. This is a slow release morphine capsule, and I have Oramorph which is a syrup and quick acting for breakthrough pain. I find the effects of the Oramorph quite unpleasant as I become drowsy, my brain seems to slow down (even more than normal ms fog, which is quite demoralizing) and I just feel lethargic. So I only take it when I really have to.

The Morphine capsules are very effective for the pain but it took a long time to get to a dose that suits me and I can tolerate. I’m surprisingly very alert on it, my Neuro was amazed when he examined me and assessed me as well enough to drive. I don’t drive or even leave the house after the syrup but I’d definitely say that it’s worth it to be comfortable.

On top of this I have Gabapentin 1200mg three times a day and Amitriptyline 50mg at night. I’m probably pickled inside but it’s worth it to have a decent quality of life. I hope you get your pain under control. It took years before I was comfortable but to be able to get around and do things I enjoy again, and to get proper night’s sleep is amazing.

Take care

Cath x

Everything crossed for good results for her!

My first symptoms were L’ Hermittes sign and loss of vision in one or other eyes and on a couple of scary occasions in both eyes.

I’m not sure what the tablet is called but initially it will be one a day, first I have to reduce LDN, then start duloxetine and if that goes well I can try methadone… I asked about patches but my GP prefers tablets. I’m hoping to have chance to talk with him again, I’d like to understand why he prefers Methadone.

I’m quite tolerant of medication too so hoping it doesn’t take too long to make sure it suits me.

I’m glad you’ve finally got your medication sorted. I’ve luckily just had a new GP who seems determined to help me be more comfortable, it’s wonderful…I’ve been floundering around with an awful GP for several years.

I am still hoping someone who has some experience of methadone might spot the post.

take care of yourself Cath,

Nina x

2 Likes

Nina did you post on Everyday Living as well? I read all the forums but I don’t think everyone does, someone there might be able to help.

Jan x

1 Like

Thanks Jan,

I will try that, to be honest I never look on there…I used to when I first started using the forum but I felt much more at home on here.

Hope you’re as well as can be,

Nina x

Have you asked Dicksons if it is possible to take ldn together with methadone? The reason I ask is that people do take ldn and tramadol, which is also a synthetic opiate, as long as there is a 6 hour gap between the two. The ldn research trust has a page on facebook and it might be worth asking there too. LDN Research Trust - Low Dose Naltrexone | Facebook

I admit this is only a guess on my part, but worth asking the question before stopping a drug that helps.

Thanks Whammel,

Yes, I spoke to Dixons and they gave me a short schedule for coming off LDN and agreed with my GP that the LDN would block the methadone.

LDN has helped me with bladder and bowel incontinence but my GP has something else to try when it’s out of my system. I’m reluctant to stop it but my pain levels have gone off the scale over the last year or so.

Thanks for your advice,

Nina

2 Likes

Oh well it was just a thought. You have obviously been commendably thorough and hope methadone is the answer to that miserable problem with pain.

2 Likes

Thank you Whammel,

Blossom answered me on everyday living…she has experience of it as a nurse, apparently it’s a better analgesic than morphine, which surprised me.

thanks for your time, hope you are as well as possible,

Nina

2 Likes