DNR

Hi All,

Bit of advice needed,if you put DNR on your medical records will it invalidate your life insurance.

I think it would but what do yous think.

Take Care.

Chris

Hi chris, What is DNR? Julsiexx

Hi Julsie

Do Not Resusitate.

Ellie x

Oh I see, I would never have known that. Thanks julsiexx

Hi Chris,

A delicate question and serious thought needed before putting DNR on your medical notes. The only real answer would be to check with an/your insurance company/read the small, small print. Ask a solictor or CAB.

Janet x

Hi Chris, No it wouldn’t think it would affect life insurance, and there’s no reason that I can think of that the insurance bods should know anything about it. As a doctor, I not infrequently have to fill in forms about why someone was in hospital, and have never been asked (or ever crossed my mind to mention) resus status… It’s irrelevant to the treatment given during life. Being blunt about it, you’re (by which I mean ‘one’, not you personally!) is not choosing to die early, or refuse treatment during life by having a DNAR order on your notes, simply that if you die you do not want heroic measures (and usually futile, despite what TV suggests) to try to bring you back to life. On a separate note, it’s often a very emotional issue which is far far better being discussed when someone is well, rather than in the heat of the moment in hospital. I find that there’s a large proportion of people in hospital who do not want resuscitating should they have a cardiac arrest, but have never mentioned it to anyone. Jenny Jenny

1 Like

Hi all.

THanks for your replys.

This is something i have pondered over for a long time, i know it will be hard for my wife and family.

I have always said that if i cant wipe my on bum,need help to wash and dress,it is not the life for me.

Will take on board what Jenny and Janet have said and will try to get good advice before i do anything.

Take Care All.

Chris.

Sorry, I forgot to mention… It might be worth having a chat with your GP together with your family about advance care planning, ie putting together a clear plan of what you would want in certain situations. Part of this is DNAR, but also includes antibiotics for infections, hospital admissions etc. The other thing to discuss would be an advance directive, which is a legally binding documentation of your refusal of specific treatments in specific situations should you not be in a position to make your views known. Usually sorted out through a solicitor I think as needs to be witnessed properly… More info on the Internet, but again worth discussing with your GP. It’s not about actively shortening your life, but about making sure your views and wishes are clear to all in the event (which will happen to everyone, MS or not, at some point) of being ill and unable to tell them yourself. Best wishes.

When I was studying nursing this came up and the answer was NO. Some life insurance companies won’t pay out in the event of suicide (some will) but DNR is NOT suicide nor is it euthanasia. It means that if your have died you do not want to be rescuitated and attempts made to bring you back to life.

The other thing to be aware of with DNR is that is is not a permanent part of your medical record but actually must be stated for every new admission.

Hope this helps,

Belinda

[quote=brog64]

When I was studying nursing this came up and the answer was NO. Some life insurance companies won’t pay out in the event of suicide (some will) but DNR is NOT suicide nor is it euthanasia. It means that if your have died you do not want to be rescuitated and attempts made to bring you back to life.

The other thing to be aware of with DNR is that is is not a permanent part of your medical record but actually must be stated for every new admission.

Hope this helps,

Belinda

Hi Belinda.

Thanks for your post.

It seems a lot of hassle every time i go into hospital, most relapses my speach is gone and cant think clearly brain in melt down,doped up with morphen how would i be able to tell them my wishes.If i go threw a lawyer that should be good enough.

A lot to think about as i want to get it right.

Take Care.

Chris