Forum

Living Will

Anyone made one - is it complicated - do you have to do it through a Solicitor - if not where do you get the forms from - Thanks

(just seen an aged relative ‘kept alive’ for a long time - not sure if I want that to happen to me!)

With apologies for this rather depressing post.

my friend was in hospital with terminal cancer and insisted that she had DNR (do not resusitate) on her notes.

very sad situation but she got her wish.

carole x

I’ve got one, you can do it without a solicitor, I think I got all the forms from the Internet. Do a search for Advance Directive. But you still have to get it witnessed by an uninterested party and then lodge it in places where it’s important that your wishes will be adhered to. So your solicitor, GP, and a copy with your will. Plus, it’s important that everyone you care about knows that you’ve made an Advance Directive. So obviously I had talked about it with my husband before I did it, my mother knows and my best friends. So it will come as no surprise if I’m in a state where I can’t make decisions for myself.

Sue

I read an article recently regarding a man who had “Do NOT Resuscitate” tattooed on his neck. He found himself in hospital in a situation where he could face resuscitation. The medics didn’t know what to do as it was possible he’d had the tattoo as a joke. Eventually they decided to uphold the DNA but it took quite some time. The lady who was kept alive against her wishes (for about 18 months I think) was left that way because the care home she was in couldn’t find her original DNA form. Her relatives were aware of the directive that she didn’t want to be kept alive artificially but the doctors wouldn’t uphold it without the written form. Not sure what eventually made them withdraw treatment (she was being peg fed) but she died a few days after treatment was stopped. It’s such a sad situation when things can get so mixed up with something so important.

If this is the case that was on BBC the other day, the family didn’t know about the living will. They only found out about it when the lady was readmitted to hospital and her GP, who was aware of it, informed them. This led to meetings between the hospital and the family, supported by the GP and the hospital respected the living will.

What the case showed is, if a living will is drawn up, it is important that relatives are aware of it and that it should be entered on your medical records at the GP and also with any hospitals where you have regular treatment.

Neil

This is important, to make sure your wishes are known, but it’s also to make your family and friends aware of your decision and the reasons for it. Supposing you are in the situation where there is such a decision to be made, it will make a hard decision easier if it’s already been discussed.

Also, my OH and myself have recently made sure that our organ donor registration is up to date. I thought maybe a lot of my bits and pieces wouldn’t be transplantable, but I was wrong. So we’ve now made sure that the organ donor info is sorted. I’ve also got the information for brain and spinal tissue donation, I just haven’t got round to doing it!!

Sue