Forum

DLA form posted - what next?

Good evening everyone.

I was wondering if someone could offer some advice. I’ve posted my DLA application off today (eventually) and would really like to know what to expect next.

How long does it usually take to hear anything (I know no two applications will ever be the same), will I have to go for a medical, if so where do you go to etc etc. I don’t know if it makes any difference but my wonderful MS nurse wrote a statement for me that I put in with it.

Sorry for all the questions, but this is the first time I’ve ever claimed for anything.

Thanks.

Anna

Hi Anna, it usually doesn't take too long... can't remember exactly but about 6 weeks I think, maybe less if you're lucky. YES a statement from MS nurse can make a huge difference. They contact your GP so if you haven't seen GP recently make an appointment asap and remind GP of your symptoms and tell him/her that you've applied for DLA.

IF you do get turned down, or don't get the rate you're hoping for, it's well worth appealling. Lots of people (myself included) get it on appeal (though lots also get it on first application so don't be downhearted).

IF you do need to appeal, come back on here and for advice as soon as you receive letter.

You will get a letter telling you if you've been awarded it and it will tell you what you got in each componant... mobility and care. The money will then be backdated to the date that you requested the forms.

If you get turned down, it will tell you why you didn't score enough to get an award (but fingers crossed you won't get that!)

It will also tell you how long you have the award for... it varies, sometimes a year, sometimes 2 or 3 years, sometimes 5 years and sometimes 'indefinite'. However, starting next year they start going over to PIP where we will all have to apply again.

It's very unusual to be called in for a medical... but on PIP I understand we will all have medicals.

Hope this explains it all and GOOD LUCK. Fingers crossed for you... but remember APPEAL if you don't get it or don't get high enough award,

Pat x

Hi Anna,

I didn't have to go for a medical, I had enclosed all the medical letters I had and that was enough. I can't remember how long it took; I think it was about 6 weeks (last Autumn) I did get a phone call from them asking to clarify how many times I went to the loo in the night -and then the backdatedmoney was in the bank 2 days later. I was awarded HRM and MRC.

Hope that helps a bit,

Good Luck,

Sarah x

Pat, Sarah

Many thanks for that - I feel a lot better about the whole thing now.

I'd read other posts on Everyday Living that said there are backlogs of 15 weeks in some places and that some cases were taking 6 months or more to sort out! I very nearly didn't send it, but sat back and thought "hang on, I've spent hours filling this flippping form in, what the heck"!

I'm glad I did now - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I hadn't thought about the GP - it's a couple of months since I last saw her. Got an appointment for this afternoon to keep her up to speed.

Thanks again.

Anna. X

Pat, Sarah

Many thanks for that - I feel a lot better about the whole thing now.

I'd read other posts on Everyday Living that said there are backlogs of 15 weeks in some places and that some cases were taking 6 months or more to sort out! I very nearly didn't send it, but sat back and thought "hang on, I've spent hours filling this flippping form in, what the heck"!

I'm glad I did now - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I hadn't thought about the GP - it's a couple of months since I last saw her. Got an appointment for this afternoon to keep her up to speed.

Thanks again.

Anna. X