Forum

cross stitch (not ms)

You may, just may remember me posting about starting a project that I guesstimated would take me 3 years…this was last year, well, I have just managed to get my aida fixed to the new floor standing frame…so add another few months! lol. had a bit of a disaster with the first floor standing frame, hopefully this will be better, however having been hauled into cutoms for a couple of hours (along with about 30 other passengers on the same flight ) I am not quite so enamoured with the subject matter of my project… i.e. New York. It is a Thea Gouverner kit - perhaps I should have gone for the London one instead!..7 stitches done only about 100,000 to go!

Alison x

Hi Alison,

It sounds huge!

I’m a real baby when it comes to cross-stitch; I’ve only tackled very simple ones.

And the last of those, I’ve had to replace, because I went wrong somewhere, and couldn’t work out exactly where, or be bothered to unpick it all, so just bought another one.

My stitching is quite neat and regular, but I’m really slow. I went to a free tutorial session, at John Lewis, where the lady taught me to stitch a small keyring with my initial. I could sense she was getting really frustrated with me, because I was so slow, and lacked any natural aptitude.

I think she normally works with people who are good at it!

Tina

x

Well you both do better me, it is a long time since I attempted cross stitch, actually sometimes think I should give it a go so Alison perhaps you could inspire me! Cheryl:)

Well you both do better me, it is a long time since I attempted cross stitch, actually sometimes think I should give it a go so Alison perhaps you could inspire me! Cheryl:)

Mmm, think I may have bitten off more than I can chew, it is 79x50 cm, however the background is not all stitched, it is NY landmarks. The first one I ever did was a millennium sampler, quite large and a bit more complicated than I first thought the panels include a Spitfire, Fountains Abbey and the space shuttle, amongst other things! It is quite striking and people always stop and have a good look as they come in…but, but, the one thing that annoys me is the kangaroo’s nose (discovery of australia) it was a French knot that popped to the back when it was stretched for framing…so I do have form for over estimating my abilities! it got finished though and when I took it to be framed the lady had another that someone else had taken in …she showed me how much tidier mine was on the back as well as the front, so for a first attempt, I was quite pleased with myself…have to see how it goes, hopefully having the right frame and less need to use both hands should help!

Alison x

Hi Mel, I really am one handed (more or less) now so I am really hoping this stand works!!! just dumped a posilock and helping hand thingy, now left with a magnifier and daylight lamp that won’t attach to any other frame!

Alison x

Oh, this reminds me of my late nanna. She used to do freestyle embroidery - none of this aida stuff. She used to embroider directly on fine linen, and as far as I know, didn’t work from a pattern or anything - it all came out of her head!

Her work was as neat on the back as the front; you honestly wouldn’t know if it was back-to-front, as it looked just as good. Whilst mine is not “bad” on the back, you’d never mistake it for the front. I don’t know how she managed to keep it that tidy.

Tina

x

Hi Tina, my sister is an ‘embroiderer’ too, I think I just don’t have the patience for all the different stitches, cross stitch not quite so taxing! but I will always remember from junior school, being told to make sure the back was as neat as the front, in fact teacher used to mark down if it wasn’t!

Alison x

Cheryl, I think I should learn to keep it simple myself before inspiring anyone! i have to say am quite good at perseverance, hate leaving things undone once I start, however i do have a completely untouched kit, it is a vintage poster of the Queen Marry, I bought a GW railway one at the same time, that is done, I think I didn’t start it as it’s not really something that will fit in with the decor, however even hubby likes the NY one…and he built the stand without too much ‘encouragement’ (most people might call it nagging!

Hi again Alison , your skills sound far superior to mine . I should try to do something like that mysel, although on a simpler, smaller scale. My 7 year old daughter got a simple child’s cross stitch thing for Xmas and will need my help and I am just hoping that it is not beyond me, lol. Having a laugh at you “nagging” your husband, I do that too. Will you update us on your progress. Cheryl:)