Contactless card.

Am I being a boring, suspicious, stuck in the 20th century old f**t for not welcoming the contactless card I was sent today. The letter it came with tells me it’s for my benefit and makes shopping easier and quicker. Really? I still have to take the card out of my purse, the only thing I don’t have to do is touch the keypad 4 times to input my number, something in my wary old mind tells me it’s for their benefit not mine.

I understand from a previous thread I read on this forum that I don’t have to have it. I’m just not sure I’m right not to want it I’m not even sure why I don’t want it Any opinions you might want to share are welcome.

Jan x

Well, Jan, you could read this:

or this:

and you might decide not to have one.
Personally, I only have one - and that is a credit card that I do not normally use in shops.

Geoff

2 Likes

Thanks for that Geoff, I’m pleased I’m not the only one who objects to this.

Jan x

I don’t want one either, Jan. I don’t believe I will ever use it, and, as such, it seems to be introducing a new type of risk for no benefit.

Trouble is, I think my old card expires at the end of January, so I suppose I’ve left it too late to reject the unwanted upgrade, and ask the bank to issue a normal card - I expect that would take weeks to process, during which time I’d be left with no card.

Tina

1 Like

Hi Jan

My debit card is a contactless one. It is not often I spend less then £20 but occasionally I do and I have used the facility in marks and sparks

I do have a couple of card protectors in my purse, I hope they work. I am very vigilant at checking my account online

xx

2 Likes

I simply can’t see the point Tina, I’d spend more time checking my online banking to make sure everything was ok.

Blossom what are the card protectors and where did you get them from? Since I stopped working I shop little one often, it gets me out of the house and I can use the trolley as a walking aid so I often spend less than £20. It would tempt me to use cash more which I believe is what they have been trying to stop us doing for years.

Im turning into a grumpy old woman who doesn’t like change

If you read Geoff’s links, it is certainly because they’ve found it encourages people to spend more money. I don’t want anything that does that - and I don’t want to have to have a lead-lined purse in case I accidentally hold it too close to the till.

I’m normally fumbling about a bit at the till (Thanks, MS!) - so yes, I would need both hands to get the correct card out, and at some point be holding several cards at once in the vicinity of the machine.

I do check my statements for suspicious transactions, but might not notice if the value was small enough, and wouldn’t want the hassle of having to challenge a payment that shouldn’t have happened in the first place (I wonder how much it would cost in phone bills to contest £2.50 that’s been charged twice, say?)

Tina

x

Hi Jan

I bought my Scanner Guard cards from QVC. There are some great reviews on there and also explain how they work. If you like, check out item 503229 and read the reviews and description for yourself. Other websites also sell them.

I bought my husband a lovely leather wallet for Christmas from marks and Spencer that has the built in card protection, so he doesn’t need his card protectors anymore. He’d had his other tatty wallet for years and needed a new one.

My husband assures me the wallet feels just like any normal wallet. Better safe than sorry that’s me

xx

BTW!! Remember, even when you spend less then £20 you can still use the pin facility you know, no one is holding a gun to your head

I wouldn’t be worried at all about using it when I intend to - although I would be more likely to pay cash for “small” sums anyway.

My only concern is about discovering I’ve used it when I didn’t intend to (or even worse, not discovering it, I suppose…)

Tina

x

Hi Tina

My reason for buying the card protectors was because of all those nasty criminals out there

What may go wrong at the checkout I can sort with the bank but I think positive and decide that will never happen…touching wood with left hand as I type.

xx

I have a contactless card, but I have never used this facility, as I always use cash. This is because if I use my card, I loose track of what i’m spending. it is the best way for me to manage my money xxx

1 Like

Probably the most sensible thing folksongs.

I rang the bank earlier and told them I didn’t want the contactless card, they asked me why put didn’t try to sway me. I will have to wait approx five days for my new card to arrive but I’ll live it isn’t a great hardship.

I’m sure in the future we will all have to have them or something similar, in the mean time I’m digging my heels in. Am I right in saying cheques haven’t been phased out due to public pressure?

Jan…contactless less xx