MS CARD

Hi all, I just wanted to share news of something that happened to me on friday. I have got one of those cards which let people know that you have MS if they refuse to let you use the toilet in a public place. Friday was the first time I have had to use it & it actually works. I needed the toilet desperately so I hobbled into a shop with my walking stick. There were disabled parking spaces directly outside so I did not need to hobble too far. I firstly asked the assisstant if I could use the toilet without producing my card. I was informed that members of the public were not allowed to use the toilet. However as soon as I showed her the card she was very apologetic & looked at me with pity. When i was leaving the shop she apologised & stated that if I had told her I had MS before asking to use the toilet she would not have refused. Has anybody had an experience like this whilst out in public.

SYLVIA

Yes I did ask once, produced my card, they still said NO! as it was company policy. I was so desperate I couldn’t stop and argue the point just asked for directions to the nearest public loo and got there as quick as my buggy would go. Needles to say I no longer use this shop.

Hi Sylvia I don’t know about these cards. They sound a good idea, where do you get them from please? Teresa xx

Hi Chris,

What an awful thing to happen to you, I hope you went back afterwards and gave them a what for!

I’ve never heard of these cards either.

Janet x

Hi Janet

No I didn’t, I wasn’t feeling to good either at the time so just wanted to get home.

Try this link: http://www.mssociety.org.uk/node/1703

Hello again,

for anyone who want’s to know where to get these plastic cards, I got mine when I joined the MS society. However I was advised to ask for one when I joined because they do not send them to you automatically they assume you have one already. Also they do not always have them in stock & you may have to wait a while. They sent me one with my application form so I was lucky they had them in stock. These cards are very usefull but they do not always work as people will find out when they attempt to use them. Maybe it was because I found somebody who has a relative with MS & she understood that it was easier to let me use the toilet than for her to have to mop the floor LOL.

SYLVIA

They’re great.Such a little thing but makes such a difference.

I was desperate for the loo at the Nu Camp in Barcelona,just got off the HOHO bus and found the loos wee being cleaned and no way was the cleaner letting me in,till I remembered the card which says I have MS and need the toilet urgently in several languages including Spainish. She smiled and let me in,they are a really handy thing to have,there’s another one which says I have MS and need some help too.

Fab news…I always keep the card in my bag but not needed to produce it yet. I hope that I would get the same response that you received.

:slight_smile:

Are you on about the application form to join the MS Society when you pay £5 Sylvia? If so then I already have that form, Im waiting to get money to pay the £5, I got this off my MS nurse but I didn’t recieve this card that your on about.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a whirl. I already have a membership card but it doesn’t mention anything that Broushka has mentioned.

Janet x

As I said in a previous post, these cards are a good idea, I have one. But I feel they need to be person specific, maybe with a (id) photo sealed onto the card.

I appreciate this type would be more expensive to produce, and you would have to provide the MS society with specific size up to date (id) photo.

If these could be made available, I for one would be prepared to pay the admin cost for one.

In fact I would go one further, If the MS Society wanted a volunteer to carry out this admin work from home, I would also be prepared to consider that.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Hello Kylie, sorry for misleading you but I remember I did not actually get the card with my application form I got it after I had joined & paid my £5. However they did not send it to me automaticaly. I was a member for several months & I seen somebody with a card & enquired where they got it from. They told me to phone my local (Birmingham) branch & they would send me one if they had them in stock, i’m not sure if you can get them if you are not a member. There is no harm in asking. I think everybody should get one,they are a great help & just noing I have it puts my mind at rest when I am out in town shopping just like my credit card puts my mind at rest until I get the bill ( LOL)

SYLVIA

LoL, Im paying for my membership, when I get some money, hopefully this will be on Friday.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the tip, I now have a card winging it’s way to me as I write.

So thank you very much.

Janet x

Glad to be of help

Chris

[quote=“Janet”]

Hello Chris,

So thank you very much.

Janet x

[/quote] Hi Janet Can you tell me what you had to do to get this card? Thanks, Teresa xx

[quote=“Tree65”] [quote=Janet]

Hello Chris,

So thank you very much.

Janet x

[/quote] Hi Janet Can you tell me what you had to do to get this card? Thanks, Teresa xx[/quote]

if these are the cards talked about in this thread then go to http://oscos2.bmc-ics.com/mss2/public/ and register for free and order the card free.

regards,

mike

[quote=“Tree65”] [quote=Janet]

Hello Chris,

So thank you very much.

Janet x

[/quote] Hi Janet Can you tell me what you had to do to get this card? Thanks, Teresa xx[/quote]

Hi Teresa

This is the link- http://www.mssociety.org.uk/node/1703

Chris

Thanks, I just managed to sort myself out and order it. Teresa xx

…which downloads a word document with another link which takes you to the page in the link I posted. Not being funny here, just saving time by giving the direct link instead of going round the houses thumbs up