Just a brief history… following numbness in face(which i still have) and a couple of incidents where i had limited movement/numbness in my arm and leg i was referred to a neurologist. Neurologist examination showed clonus in both ankles and unsteady gait.
After almost 5 weeks of waiting for results of mri (my letter has never arrived) i decided on the off chance to ask if my dr had got the mri results (they had) my results of vit d had also come back as low and again i hadnt been informed.
findings of mri
2 non- specific foci of t2 hyperintensity in the periventricular deep white matter, these could reflect areas of demyelination.
signal change in the left maxilla , odontogenic in nature?
letter from neurologist
I am glad inform you that the described lesions are non -specific. They are no way suggestive of possible multiple sclerosis and they do not meet the criteria for the diagnosis of ms. I can at present reassure you that your symptoms and mri findings are no way associated with the possibility of you having ms. I would however advise you continue observing your symptoms and should there be any further progression of your symptoms to report to gp who will then make a decision about whether to further refer to neurology. I would advise that you see your dentist because of the changes of your left maxillo which need to be investigated and treated as necessary.
To be honest i feel like crying it has been such a anxious wait and i now feel like i have more questions then answers, the mri report states “these could be areas of demyelination” yet the neurologists letter seems certain beyond any possibility that it isnt ms.
My gp was excellent and is going to seek advise from the neurology department, but it is my understanding that lesions in this area are common with ms and coupled with the fact that i have neurological symptoms (clonus and unsteady gait)plus my own symptoms eg numbness and heaviness in limbs plus cognitive problems i cant help but still feel concerned …
Sorry if am rambling, i guess i am just looking for some clarification as to what this all means (could it be that the lesions are so new that at this moment in time they are not clearly defined and able to say they are defiantly ms related?)
At this moment in time i shall await to see what my gp says after she has spoken with neurology but i am also wondering depending on the outcome should i be seeking a 2nd opinion and perhaps asking for a mri with contrast/spinal mri (due to issues with arms/legs) (would this make much difference at this moment in time?) or just wait and see if i do have any further symptoms? I would add that since initial mri i have very slight numbness in both hands and have also been having the odd spasm (but these have been so slight i doubt they would make any difference in a mri i think i just ultra aware of my body right now) rambling again lol… sorry
I would welcome anyones thoughts as to the findings of my mri/letter from neurologist? , or whether you guys have had similar? and whether i should be asking for more tests at this stage/2nd opinion etc?
Best wishes to you all