Newly diagnosed??

Hi all,

Just had my MRI scan results by letter and am waiting to see my GP next week. I have had 3 periods of pins and needles and numbness over the last year, once in my feet, then in my arms and hands and then the last time in my legs. I was symptomless when I saw the neurologist and he could find no signs of ms on examination, but due to my history and the fact I have had a whole range of blood tests he didn’t think it could be anything else. My letter says I have a large amount of white matter in my brain and 3 spinal cord lesions which he is said looks like ms. Is this a diagnosis? I don’t need another MRI or lumber puncture at this stage.

Its all just sinking in still and I don’t know what to think. I just wanted to share my experience and see if it is similar to others. Can you recommend any thing else I should do. I am not seeing my consultant again for a few months

“A large amount of white matter” doesn’t make a lot of sense - did you miss a word out?

If we assume that there are white matter lesions as well as spinal cord lesions, then it does sound very likely to be MS from what you’ve said, but we shouldn’t jump to conclusions - he might still have some ideas about alternatives.

I think, if I were you, I would phone the neuro’s secretary and just ask if this is a diagnosis or not. I hope it isn’t because getting a less than clearly worded diagnosis by letter is ridiculous :frowning: But it wouldn’t be the first time :frowning:

It would probably be a good idea to see your GP and enrol them in getting things sorted out too - you need support to deal with this.

Good luck!

Karen x