bloody dla!!

hi all,

i’ve been refused dla for the 2nd time despite a supporting letter from my ms nurse!

i have since got up to date letters (my condition is progressing) from my nuero, ot and nurse so am about to launch an appeal which may go to tribunal!

seem’s like they aren’t taking me seriously when everyone else is bending over backwards to help, like i’m not disabled enough!!

well i can assure you all that i am, can’t walk more than 40yds without becoming extremely dizzy and falling forwards, on a bad day i get dizzy just standing up!!

just wondered if anyone else has had this prob and been to tribunal and how long that took?

thanks

ben

Hi Ben

I got asked to attend a tribunal in December after my 2nd claim was turned down, I was in contact with my local advice shop and they were going to come with me but I was too ill to attend on the day but cause I had representation they told me what would have happened if I had went and basically he told me I would not do any talking just turn up armed with all paperwork I had and they would do all the talking for me. As I never attended I have no idea how it would have turned out but since going back to work in January I must say I am doing well now and have never felt the need to reapply. The only advice I can give you is try to get representation if you can. You have big support from the experts which will help so stick it out and hopefully things will work out for you.

In a way I am glad mine didn’t work out cause I know now that even although I went through a year of hell I am better now and would have to let them know and lost the benefit even although I have no idea how long I will feel like this.

Take care and let us know how you get on

Claire

I know this feeling it is depressing!

I was refused DLA 3 times in 2006 and then I went to the Citizens Advuce Bureau and I had luck straight away! I hope this works out for you in the end x

SOrry I forgot to say they filled out the forms for me and that worked

yeah i’m doing the same moogle, they gunna fill the appeal forms in for me

Just a thought and it may be worth asking them this.

I have been waiting for an appeal for ESA since March 2012 and it is expected to go ahead in July 2013! This is because there is so many claims they are bogged up!
Maybe it would be quicker to make a new claim by filling in the form again with the CAB.

However it is up to you what you choose to do and I will understand x

What you should realize that ATOS are earning a lot of money from this Government; from us. People like you and me are ideal fodder to take essential Benefits from and how they do it they could not care ATOS.

You can appeal by ringing 0800 882200; you will then receive all the correspondence from your doctors so will see who is to blame. It is invariable your Neuro or GP who are being scarce with the truth: the DLA assessor can only go on what’s in front of them. Sorry to say ATOSers are now involved they seem to be reading from a different hymn book.

The answers below are occurrences doctors would not know about. It is far better to attend a hearing but you can ask for one in your home (bit self destructive if your not badly affected) or a reconsideration (bit pointless as they have already made a decision).

At the appeal there are 3 people asking questions, a doctor, solicitor and social services agent. Don’t worry there usually very nice and make you feel at home.

Just a few ideas of the way you should answer the questions.

While hobbling along the High Street I keep near to the shops. This aids me in two ways; I am less likely to fall into the road and I can stop and look in shop windows to get a rest. I can testify that Ann Summers has the best window display, lol.

To get High Rate you must show you need help during the night. Say something like, “I get up 2/3/4 times per night to go to the toilet, sometimes to no avail.” “My wife has to accompany me; this takes about 45 minutes each time and obviously breaks her sleep.” “It’s amazing just knowing she is there gives me so much confidence.” “She has to accompany me because once I fell over and slept where I lay that night, good job it was the middle of summer and warm.”

Contact DIAL http://www.dialuk.info/ who will come around your house and help with the forms. Or Benefits and work http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ who give excellent advice costs £19.40 per year. The DLS give excellent free advice http://www.dls.org.uk/advice/factsheet/factsheets_download.html it is essential you get help.

The hearing lasts about 20 minutes and then you are asked to go to another room. Another 20 minutes and then you are asked back in and told the result. It is very important to have someone attend with you.

As Pat say’s if you can walk 40 yards but are dizzy or in pain after 1 yard the answer to their question is you can’t walk.

Simple rule ‘don’t say one word when 100 will do’ in other words explain in detail. Always quote your worst; they appreciate MS is a variable condition but don’t you say it. Be very careful though as there are some mistakes you could make like do not say you’re housebound as that begs the question why do you need the mobility component? Say “I would like to go out more if I could afford to” The examples are that examples if they are not true don’t use them.

Good luck

George