Bladder problems and Botox

Thanks Jean
That makes total sense. I’m just a bit unsure what to do.
Should I try to pass urine and then use a catheter ? Or just use a catheter ?
I was once told that if i used a catheter and i only had under 100ml retained I was at risk of getting a uti. As i needn’t use a catheter for a small amount.
Sorry for all the questions.

Hi, No worries about all the questions, if no one has gone through this with you then you won’t know. So this is how I do it, I use a catheter all the time, I have 300ml of Botox injected in, so he told me this would paralysed my bladder, so catheter all the time, however even when I was having less injected in, I still used the catheter all the time, because I never fully emptied, so always ran the risk of a UTI, I also go by the clock, eurologist said you should aim to empty your bladder every 2.5hrs to 3hrs, so this is what I try to do, knowing my bladder will be full, good luck.
Jean

Thank you thats really good to know.
I had 100ml of botox. That certainly makes sense about making sure my bladder is fully empty. Also really good working by the time.
Thank you

1 Like

Yes ~ I set a timer on my phone to remind me to empty bladder every 2 hours. I sit patiently and play a game on my phone and each loo visit works! No more not getting to the loo on time. Best wishes.

1 Like

Thats a good way to remember. As it can be easy to forget.
Do you try to empty your bladder before using a catheter ?

I use ISC post Botox. I was told to always try to pee naturally before using catheter as this helps flush bacteria from uretha which prevents being pushed into bladder by catheter. At 1st I was not able to pass any urine without catheter but 4 months in Botox is wearing off. I was told to measure how much I retain and this dictates how often need to catheterise. Current retention for me is 300ml so I still need to do ISC every time. You should be able to contact person who taught you ISC for advice when needed

Thank you that makes a lot of sense.
Its only 8 days since i had the botox, during the day I’m struggling to pass urine unless my bladder is really full, i will then retain about 200ml to 300ml.
I have noticed a difference at night the last 2 nights. I have only needed to get up 1 through the night.
I will speak with my nurse next week for her advice
Thanks