Bed wetting! 8(

Hi All

Sorry I’ve posted anon on this one but I’m not ready to go public just yet!!!

Over the past 18 months I’ve started having problems during the day with what I think is called urge incontinence - i.e. my bladder suddenly and urgently tells me I want to go and then I can’t hold it until I get to the loo! It doesn’t seem to give me any warning that it’s getting full - only when its too late and I just can’t do anything to stop it running out! So embarrassing - I was putting it down to my age (49) x

Twice whilst experiencing electric shock type spasms around my abdomen I’ve also lost control

Then a few weeks ago I woke up and to my horror I’d wet the bed! This happened twice.

Since then I am waking up most mornings to find my bladder is just emptying itself!!!

There is no feeling that I want to go or anything - even though my bladder is full!

This is so upsetting me xxx

So sorry - it’s one of the more unpleasant symptoms that MSers are prone to

The best advice I can give you is to see a continence advisor. They are the experts and will be able to help you. I’m not sure of the referral process (it seems to vary around the country), but you could start by seeing your GP. Please don’t be embarrassed, it is actually remarkably common.

In the meantime, it’s really important to go to the loo regularly, even if you don’t think you need to. (Maybe every couple of hours?) Don’t stop drinking - fluid intake is important! NHS continence pads are meant to be awful, so if you can afford it, go for Tena. Better them than clothing & bed linen accidents?

Please go and see your GP.

Karen x

Hi anon

there is no need to be embarrassed at all. If there’s anywhere you’ll find some understanding ears its here.X

Bladder problems can be so difficult to cope with and can affect social interactions so it’s not a small issue. I’ve started having some bladder issues my self as of late (only mild) and it’s irritating me so I can’t imagine how difficult this must be for you.

Have you seen your neuro or GP. It sounds like you need to be referred to urology or at least offered some meds.

Try to avoid caffinated drinks as they’re diuretics and avoid drinking an hour before bed. If you have an opportunity even though you might not feel like you need to go try to go ever hour or so that way you’re trying to initiate before you get to point of being full and having an accident.

I’m sure you’re doing a lot of the above yourself anyway. Please don’t be embarrassed or afraid - this is a major issue and you need some help and support. Feel free to turn to us any time.

Reemz

X

Hi there - poor you, just another hit to our dignity the thieving bstrd disease! I’ve wet the bed a couple of times too in the last few months and am mortified. As Reemz says, this is certainly the place to share our embarrassments in safety and, as Karen says, it is actually quite common, just never talked about - one of those human taboos.

Big big hugs xxx

Hi

Please don’t be embarrassed, I have the other problem, bowel incontinence and it’s taken over my life (I was 50 last Tuesday but it started when I was 34 and didn’t happen again for 11 years and over last 5 years has become more and more frequent). I saw GP who (eventually, after having to be assertive) referred me to a continence advisor. They fobbed me off with loads of excuses not to do anything for a long time until I got to a point where it was happening so often I was trapped in the house and I virtually begged them for help. I am now on Loperamide and it is helping but still have a bit further to go before I get my confidence back.

I’m not sure but think I would rather have bladder incontinence but neither are symptoms we want to acknowledge. Incidentally I have the opposite problem with my bladder - I can’t open it and have to use a bladder stimulator. There’s no dignity!

I would seriously press your GP for a referral to a continence advisor - after all they wouldn’t like it if it happened to them.

Best wishes

Dianne

Hi, just want to add my voice to all the others who`ve replied to you.

Incontinence (bladder and/or bowel) is so common in MS and other neuro conditions.

There is help in the form of drugs such as oxybutynin. I take these and use NHS pads. When I know i really can`t hold, I have to rely on the pads, which absorb about 80% of the accident.

Just speak to an incontinence nurse. They will come to your house and are very understanding. I believe you can self refer fore this.

luv Pollx

Thank you all

I’m not diagnosed with anything yet but it is good to know I’m not alone with this one.

Dianne I have also experienced bowel incontinence many times over the last 18 months. Its awful, I just suddenly go, no control at all, very very loose diarrhoea. I will go in the morning normally and then in the afternoon or evening it happens out of the blue. No pain, no warning, then I go normally again the next day. I’ve blamed it on food intolerances etc etc - but now I wonder if it is related to all the other symptoms I am experiencing