Any ideas ?

Hi just got notes off GP from my Consultant visit . A couple of things stand out . He noted a problem with my gait ? Increased tone in legs and very exaggerated reflex in knees . Also no abdominal reflex noted . Problem with balance when walking toe to heal . Not sure what all this mean . Any help greatly appreciated .

Hi, well it does sound like MS, but then it could be several other things causing the problems too.

Try not to focus too much on it being MS. I did that for several years and had many tests. PPMS was suspected, but it turned out to be something else, with very symptoms like MS.

Keep any follow up appointments and see what occurs, yeh?

luv Pollx

Thanks , didn’t really discuss with GP . He did mention MS for the first time after 6 months of saying it was CFS so was a little shocked/ scared by what I read . Have EVP and MRI scans due soon plus a lumber punc ture following that . Pete

Hi again. You are getting the right tets and hopefully, won`t have too long to wait for a diagnosis.

I know it is a scary time, but keep coming here for support, yeh?

luv Pollx

Your gait is the way you walk. Different ways of abnormal walking suggest different problems. For example, people with Parkinson’s Disease often “shuffle” whereas people with sensory problems may put their heels down very hard each step and people with balance problems may walk with a very wide stance, etc.

Increased tone means tight/stiff muscles. It’s a way of describing spasticity. This is caused by a problem with the upper motor neuron, the pathway between the brain and the nerves that tell muscles when to contract/relax.

Very exaggerated reflex in knees means that when he hit your knees, your legs shot out a lot more than most people’s would.

The abdominal reflex is triggered by stroking the tummy - your stomach muscles should contract in a particular way. Yours didn’t. This might show a problem in the thoracic spinal cord I think.

Walking toe to heel is when you had to walk in “baby steps” and put the heel of the foot in the air down to touch the toes of the one on the ground already (and repeat!). Problems with this can suggest a lesion in the cerebellum, which is important for balance and coordinating movement.

What it all adds up to I really can’t tell you, but there is a fair amount going on that isn’t normal - but then, you knew that already! This just makes it official.

Hth.

Karen x

Thanks Karen , just wanted to double check what I had already found on the internet. Pete