Forum

Another MRI

Been to see Neurologist and he now says its not MS at the moment?! but he is going to send me for a lower spine MRI. I had a brain and c spine MRI 12 months ago which was clear, but my symptoms are worse. He can not or would not give me a diagnoise, told him I was fed up after being ill for 18 months getting worse and no one being able to tell me why? Told him I did not want to have MS but if I had a Dx then at least I could be treated for it. He said I was being treated for my symptoms and would advise my Dr to give me something for my nerve pain. If its not MS then why send me for MRI? And why want to see me again in 6 months? Any ideas? Now got the stress of waiting for MRI date, then waiting for results

Hi, i am no expert but maybe he is saying you are showing symptoms of MS, but until something shows up on an MRI he will not give you that much needed diagnosis. The fact he is sending you for more tests is a good thing…means he is still interested. Take the medicines offered to you and try not to worry about having a label. If it is MS then you will know eventually, concentrate on getting yourself to a place where you feel better and try to get on with things.

HTH

Laura x

MS isn’t the only condition that shows up on MRI and if your symptoms are consistent with a problem further down the spine then the neuro is wise to check it out. If your condition has been steadily worsening for 18 months then, if it was MS, it almost certainly wouldn’t be relapsing remitting MS and this is the only type of MS that is currently treatable. In other words, a diagnosis of MS probably wouldn’t get you treatment :frowning: It’s really important to get the right diagnosis so please take heart from the fact that your neuro wants to do more tests and see you again: it means that he believes you and wants to find the answer (and give the right treatment). I hope the new med helps. Karen x

Hi, I am no expert but it sounds like he thinks you have the symptoms of MS, but untill something shows on an MRI he is not prepared to give you a diagnosis. The good news is he wants you to go for more tests, that to me says he is still interested. Take the medicines they offer you and try not to worry about not having a label for things. If it is MS it wont stay hidden forever, if it’s not then your one test closer to finding out what is happening.

HTH

Laura x