Amitriptiline & magnesium

Hi all

has anyone taken amitriptyline, I got prescribed this(10mg ) to start by a gp. I wondered if it is any gd for unwanted sensations I.e pins and needles ?Also has anyone found magnesium to be good for cramps ?

Thanks

kat

Hi Kat, I took Amitriptiline, not too good for me, Iā€™m afraid. Absolutely ā€œzonkedā€ me!!! Not to say it will you though, chances are it will agree with you. Not sure about the magnesium though, 1 I havenā€™t tried. Good luck with them Tracey x

I use both, was really worried about starting amitriptiline, had my husband cut the small tablet into quarters to start slowly, i wouldnt be without it now. Magnesium is brilliant for cramps, i take a tablet but also use aa spray called better 4 you magnesium oil which i also think really helps xx

Thanks Tracey/Zoe

Iā€™m scared of the amitriptyline too , but will give it a go :)ive got magnesium tabs and a spray so will try them too

Kat x

I used to be a bit scared of amitriptyline - when I first took it I thought there was a big ā€˜hangoverā€™ type side effect the next day so I stopped. A few years later I tried again, for pins & needles, pain etc. surprisingly I managed so much better. I was advised to take it in the evening, a good couple of hours before going to bed. This way thereā€™s enough time for any unwanted effects to wear off by morning. I started with 10mg and increased to between 20 and 30mg. Nowadays Iā€™m so used to it I can take one in the middle of the afternoon if I have burning type pains and have no ill effects. It can be a really useful drug if you start very slowly and ensure you take it early enough.

Sue

Hi,

I have been on Amitriptyline for over a year. I started off on 10mg and got up to 90mg a day.

I have now reduced the dose back down to 20mg at night. As I have been put on some more drugs for pain.

As long as you increase the dose slowly you will be fine.

I take it about 3 hours before I go to bed that way I seem to fall asleep as soon as I am in bed. Other wise I would lie awake ages if I took it later.

Hi kat my gp put me on 10mg amitriptyline 6 weeks ago take 2 at night i was experiencing awful muscle cramps in my legs they have helped a lot and actually get some sleep . Lynda

I started on 5mg in the evening but increased the dose to 10mg and although it has helped me to zonk out at the evening as I had restless, twitching legs in the evenings. My gp said not to drive within 12 hrs of taking them so Iā€™m trying to take them no later than 8pm. I havenā€™t really found theyā€™ve helped with the pins and needles, but my twitching has stopped and Im sleeping through now which is great news. Ive just finished a course of IV steroids so hoping that Iā€™ll be on the way to recovery from this relapse shortly. Good luck x

Hi Kat

Have been on Amitriptyline for few weeks. 1 take 1 10mg most nights, and sleep all night, pain free. - First time for months.(Donā€™t take one when I have couple of wines with dinner, think that could be dangerous) I freaked when I looked them up, an antidepressant, so when the locum who prescribed them (on advice from my MS nurse), he was really patient and explained that my 6 - 8 baclofen a day only treated the nerve endings, i.e. the tips of my fingers & toes, whereas the Amitriptyline not only is an anti-depressant, but is used to treat the stem of the nerve, so relaxes the muscles to the wrist /ankles and base of the fingers and toes.

He drew me some kindergarten pictures and convinced me that I should take yet another med on top of all the others. So drinking a couple of wines 2ish days a week, as I donā€™t want to becomes addicted to the bloody pills. (My excuse, & Iā€™m sticking to it.)

Take care - & let us know how you get on with them

Mary x

1 Like