Amitriptyline

Hi everyone - wondering if people have tried this for help with sleeping and if it worked? When I saw the consultant last week I explained that I have bad problems sleeping and may only get an hour or two a night and then my brain strugglr even more the next day - he said that amitriptyline helps but can make people drowsy the next day. Just wonder if anyone had any advice? I try not to take drugs generally but the lack of sleep is becoming increasingly worse now

Yes I tried ,it did help me sleep , but like you said made me very drowsy next day virtually useless so had to stop But on the plus side dealt with pain very efficient

They are starting me on 10mg a night which I take for a week to 10 days and then increase if necessary. I’m off work from Thursday onwards for three week during the holidays so thought I’d try it then and see how it goes. Bit worried it might make me useless the next day. One question how much time before going to bed should I take it?

Hi Karina,

Iv been on Amitryptiline for nearly 3year maybe more and 10mg is just the right dose to see how you get on, and yes it does make you a little drowsy the next day but you do get a decent nights sleep but like everything else once you have been taking it for a wee while your body will get youst to it and you will feel better, try half an hour before bedtime thats what ive always done. Iv tried 20mg once or twice and that turned me into a zombie the next day lol.

Hope this helps Karina :slight_smile:

Thanks Darren :slight_smile: just looking forward to hopefully getting some sleep - I’ve forgotten what the inside of my eyelids look like! Lol!

I’ve been taking it for years for migraines. Makes you sleepy to start with but soon wears off. I’m now on 70mg and have no side effects whatsoever x

Thanks littlekit

Hi, been on that drug (hate spelling it!) for 13 years! Originally I was put on it for severe nerve pain at the rear of my thighs and bum cheeks!

Began on a low dose and got up to 100mg a night before it zapped the pain! And boy! did it give me great sleep! it never made me zombified, as it does some folk.

I now take 75mg a night and it keeps those awful pains away, but it doesnt have any effect on my sleep now, which is poor.

I was woken up every hour or so for a wee, got a suprapubic catheter now, which is great but my sore heels wake me up now.

i dunno, if its not one thing, its your mother eh!

pollxx

Hi I’ve been taking it for nearly a year…I only get the muzzy head if I take it too late at night. I take it at 6ish, am ready for bed at about 10pm and am fine when I wake up. It also helps with neuropathic pain and is a mild ante depressant so ticks all the boxes for me. Catherine Xx

I wasn’t sure how early to take it before going to be - I thought it was a maximum of an hour before. I figured it would kick in relatively quickly so if I took it too early I’d be falling asleep too early. Good to know it hasn’t caused any of you any real zombie feeling the next morning- am trying it this weekend for the first time so fingers crossed!!

I’ve been taking 10mg for a week now. First night I fell asleep within an hour of taking it but now it seems to be keeping me awake so I’ve been taking it earlier and earlier. I do feel tired during the day but I did before I started it so that’s not a shock. My main problem with it now is that I am craving carbs and sugar! I don’t normally have a sweet tooth at all so that’s odd! Hope you go ok with it. Let us know how you get on?

I started on 10mg and increased to 30mg over a 2/3 month period, I was given it for IBS. I spoke to a doctor last week as I tend to get twitchy when I’m trying to settle so he changed the 10mg tablets to 25mg straight away. I’m gonna ask if I can have some of both in my next prescription as 50mg seems a bit overkill but could be ok when I don’t have work in the morning… so now i’m taking a 25 and sometimes a 10 on top if I need the sleep :slight_smile:

Good luck with them, they really should help you get a peaceful night’s sleep.

Sonia x

I’m trying to work out whether to start them today or waiting until Saturday. I’ve only got a couple of hours of work tomorrow working from home but I’ve got the dentist first thing on Friday morning and need to drive there so worried I case it makes me a bit drowsy as not sure it’s a good idea to stop and start the tablets

I think I’d wait then - it does say on the pack not to drive if drowsy and I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to drive first thing the first couple of mornings after taking them x

Like Catherine I’ve been on it for a while. I take 50mg but also take it early, at about 7pm, bed between 10 and 11pm, I sleep well, pain has improved and I have no ill effects in the morning. I did find it difficult getting up initially and with every dose change, and know when I’ve taken it too late at night.

Like Catherine I’ve been on it for a while. I take 50mg but also take it early, at about 7pm, bed between 10 and 11pm, I sleep well, pain has improved and I have no ill effects in the morning. I did find it difficult getting up initially and with every dose change, and know when I’ve taken it too late at night.

Well I took it last night for the first time. I took 10ng an hour before going to bed - I think I need to take it earlier as it took me ages to get to sleep- BUT I finally managed to get a few hours sleep and didn’t feel rough this morning so all positive so far! :slight_smile:

I would take it earlier than an hour before bed. It takes about three hours to have an effect on me sleep wise. I take mine between 6 & 7 pm and am sleepy by 10pm.

Will try taking it at about 7 tonight - just wasn’t sure how quickly it would kick in and didn’t want to fall asleep on the sofa!

Hi.

I have been prescribed 10mg about two weeks ago. I was also concerned about its ability to make me tired the following day. I have citalopram also which could increase the sedative effect.

However i initially took it just before bed time but then changed to taking it about 6pm, when i was in the house and settled down for the night.

I had taken it for nerve pain and i have stopped taken it about two days ago as the nerve pain subsided and here i am at 5am on here ( i have been up since about 3.30am) struggling with pains in my legs.

I think i will start taking it again today.

Yvette