age restrictions

Hi, last week I went to Richmond for the day and was getting picked up at 6.30. My daughter and I found all cafes etc had closed by 5.30 so we just needed somewhere dry, warm where we could sit down and get a bite to eat whilst we were waiting. We went into one of the large pub/ eating establishments where my daughter and I went to the bar to order some food and get drinks(non alcoholic, I stagger about enough already) I have trouble with steps, with sorting change, carrying things so my daughter is a star in sorting things for me. I was told that my daughter isn’t aloud near the bar and to send her to a table. She is my carer when I’m struggling. We weren’t wanting to stand at the bar, just order food , pay for it and sit down. I know there are age restrictions but sometimes they are just pants. . Just felt really bad, like I was a bad parent for having to have her help me and that I’m stupid for not being able to manage. I know she can’t buy alcohol but I thought in a place serving food it would be ok for her to be with me at the bar to order food and help pay and carry drinks to a table. Whinge over. Thanks Lynn

yes lynn

i agree. this is taking things too far.

why dont you write to the place and explain how it made you feel.

might help the next disabled person who has a young carer

carole x

They are just obeying the law. If the law doesn’t cater for child carers, it’s the law that needs to be challenged, not the establishment. They can’t choose to break the law, on a case-by-case basis, because of “how it made someone feel”.

Tina

Hello,

Personally i feel the pub could have just asked for your order at the table. But some places are just to pig headed to help others out. They could have handled this so much better. Common sense isn’t that hard, even tho some make it seem hard.

Carole makes a good point, maybe pointing it out to the (via a letter/email) will make it better for the next disabled person.

Darren

The penalties for them breaking the law regards underage patrons are sever. It would not be a slap on the wrist but the loss of their license so you can understand them being strict

However – how much trouble would it be to come to your table and help out? I go to a local pub in my wheelchair and the staff couldn’t be more helpful – bringing my drink and food over, moving chairs and even cutting my sandwich on one occasion.

A letter or email could point out the ways they could help a disabled person without breaking the law.

Jane