Self centred

I’m really proud of my daughter, she has just passed her final exams to become a Learning Disabilty Nurse and her graduation is next month. Already my anxiety has gone into overdrive, what am I going to wear? I will need to be in my wheelchair, I asked my daughter what the accessibility is like in the venue. Her reply? Mum you are not the only disabled person in the world. Now I never saw myself as being self-centred but I am beginning to think this illness has made me. Or is it that we have to be so organised to do anything.

Mags xx

Hi Mags

It’s not self centred to make sure you have access and disabled loos and whatever else you need to ‘service’ your disability. But maybe she needs to feel like she’s the centre of attention. Perhaps you should just check the venue and phone them. That should sort out your worries.

I am an absolute nightmare btw when it comes to going absolutely anywhere. All my friends know that wherever they go (local restaurants or cities abroad) they are required to check for access, pavements versus cobbles, dropped kerbs, and of course disabled loos.This is irrespective of whether I plan to go wherever it is.

Being a wheelchair user brings with it a degree of anxiety. You need to know in advance that your needs are catered for in order that you can enjoy the day and thus make your daughter the centre of attention.

Sue

1 Like

Mags, it is not self centred at all, to wonder if a venue is accessible to us wheelies.

think not a jot more about it.

pollsx

oh and congrats to the daughter.

pollsx

well said Sue. You are a kindred spirit and an ambassador to all things wheeliefied!

pollsx

good word wheelified innit?

pollsx

ps I`ll shut up now.

1 Like

Hi Sue, I can always rely on you to get the right perspective on things. I just felt if I got myself sorted out then we can focus on the day being hers, just as it should be. She didn’t say it in a horrible way but it got me thinking. I’m with you on the need to be organised for these ventures, I do hate fuss! so I like to know beforehand about accessibility, toilets etc. I’m not a full time wheelchair user but on occasions like this I need it.

I have an appointment next month to see about a FES, so hopefully I’ll be able to hobble about a bit better and not trip over ruts and uneven ground but I’m probably still going to have to use the wheelchair quite a lot. I have to be realistic.

Mags xx

Best of luck with the FES. I still use one to do a bit of hobbling round the house, if you do get one, you can always use it with a walker that comes complete with a seat. That way you get the maximum amount of support when walking and can always take a seat when your legs have had enough. The advert on the Topro website (which is the kind I’ve got) has a woman walking around the clothes department of a big store (always a draw) then sitting on the seat and gently pushing herself along with one foot.

I panic if I’m not sure where we’re going or if I’m not sure about the facilities. So I’m fully on your side about needing to get that sorted first. Then you can just look forward to the occasion.

Sue

Excellent.

Sue

Hi Mags,

Congratulations to your daughter. My daughter graduated this year too. Graduation ceremony is in

Sheffield city hall in November. My daughter has applied for three tickets one being for a wheelchair.

Of course we worry, we want everyone to have a good day. As someone said google the venue. I’m sure if it’s in a public building or the uni there will be lots of information about accessibility.

Wear something comfortable that you feel fabulous in, not forgetting lovely shoes… You’ll have a really lovely day.

Good luck.

Jen x

Sorry Poll, I meant the word excellent to refer to wheelified, not the shut up bit. I just reread it and realised what it looked like.

Sue

I understand Harem Pants are the perfect attire for Graduation Ceremonies. Ok, I just made that up. Enjoy the day.

1 Like

Congrats to your daughter as well. She did get a wheelchair ticket and I googled the venue and it is fine, really looking forward to it. Hope you have a lovely day too. It’s very exciting!

Mags xx

Oh, Whammel that made me smile. Posh frock it is and I might buy a new coat. It gets quite nippy in Edinburgh in October.

Mags xx

2 Likes