Pubs and clubs

Before a pub or club is given a licence to sell alcohol presumably there has to be an inspection of the premises.

Is disabled access something that is taken into account before a licence is given or not given.

would this include restaurants, because as I know of some who have no disabled access.

pollx

Nope cuz they can sell to non disabled people couldn’t they? Disabled access would come under Health and Safety and probably fire Regulations.

Many pubs/ restaurants round by me can get round it as the buildings were/are centuries old and may be listed. Many modern ones (Wetherspoons) do comply.

Basically if you can’t get in or out - they don’t get my custom. Less pennies for them!

1 Like

Oh yeah, I can always find someone willing to take my custom and who make me feel valued!

Pollx

the worse place i’ve been was a music venue in manchester.

now bear in mind i told them i was disabled and got a free ticket for a carer.

but there was 5 flights of steps, which i managed.

once inside i asked one of the bouncers/attendants where the toilets were.

i was told that they were downstairs (oh 'eck) but there was one toilet on that floor in the corner.

that one toilet was for both men and women and had quite a queue.

luckily the person ahead heard me groan and asked if i was ok.

i told her my problem and she strong armed the whole queue for me.

i understood that it was a listed building but surely a quick glance at the DDA legislation would have shown them that i needed to know all this before i bought the tickets.

i enjoyed the band though so grudgingly forgave them.

You can always rely on Wetherspoons for access and toilets

In answer to your question I understand it’s about reasonable adjustments which for an old building may not be possible. It may also be listed

1 Like

I’m having a whinge about facilities at my local sports centre.

My local sports centre has a first floor cafe. It has a service lift which is used by wheelchair using customers. (I gather this lift should not be used as an escape route in case of a fire.)

However it does not have any disabled toilets.

My question is should wheelchair users be allowed into the first floor cafe?

Is it in an old building?

Hope they have an escape plan for wheelie users on first floor.

Ask? Surprised they dont have a disabled loo.

pollx

All lifts tend not to be usable when the fire alarms sound. I used to more on the 11th floor of a building and the lifts could not be used (they automatically returned to the ground floor). The usual solution is what is called an Evac Chair that can be manhandled down the stairs by 1 helper. We had a wheelchair user on staff and there were others on other floors too (Civil Service offices). Ask the people running the building what their fire arrangements are - the Local Authority/Fire Service would have had to see a plan when licensing the place and they do check up (but not as frequently as they should TBH because of budget cuts.)