Advice for people who are newly diagnosed

http://www.theguardian.com/science/audio/2014/oct/08/podcast-science-wee

This is really interesting podcast - already posted by Blossom but I wanted to recommend it to people who are newly diagnosed or awaiting diagnosis. It suggests that people should see an expert neurologist and be put on disease modifying drugs soon after diagnosis. If you fast forward to the 24th minute (or listen all the way through) you will hear one of the NHS participants suggests that only people living near an ‘MS centre of excellence’ currently get to see a really good neurologist and thus get treatment that will make a difference to the course of their disease, at an early stage of their disease, when it is most likely to do this.

The truth is, if you are awaiting diagnosis or newly diagnosed you can see a really good neurologist in a hospital outside of your area NOW. But you will need to do things to make this happen - find a good neurologist, ask your GP to refer you to them - it won’t just happen.

1 Like

Hi Sewingchick,

Unfortunately your link has got truncated, and doesn’t work. I’m not sure if it happened as you copied-and-pasted, and you didn’t quite get all of it, or if you have uncovered another great “feature” of the forum.

I couldn’t find the article, to try re-pasting it for you myself.

Try again?

Tina

Oh, apparently we have lost the ability to edit our own posts - or was it only ever in threads we started?

I’ve just realised that I have already visited the link posted by Blossom (I think!) and it worked OK then.

My typing in the “edit” window is coming out in a different - and better - font today - the same one it will actually post in.

Previously, my drafts were coming out in a very small, serif font (probably just Times, or something like that), which was pretty, but difficult to read.

See if this works.

Thanks Blossom, don’t know what happened there.