A million little ants.

Thanks Cath. Today is hard. I don’t feel well at all and been holed up in bedroom all morning, and without electricity for a couple of hours.

Electricians are here. Well at least it’s moving forward but I am struggling today.

Dickie’s doing ok. He’s actually desperate to get out of the bedroom to see what’s going on!

From now on I’m going to make a sandwich in morning for lunch. I can’t even get to the fridge as covered it up with black plastic stuff and I’m starving!

Dickie, on the other hand, has both his wet and dry food in here! Wish I had been more thoughtful about my own food!

Pat xx This too will pass this too will pass this too will pass…

Pat I hope you’re feeling a bit better today. It’s really hard when anything upsets your routine. I remember making a thermos jug of tea and packing a picnic before retiring to my bedroom to watch tv, a dvd or read a book. When the noise of them banging about got to me I put my headphones on as they block noise out.

Hopefully they won’t take too long now and you can get straight again, do you have any idea how long it’ll be? I’m struggling a bit too, I spoke to the gp about increasing my anti depressants but because of all the meds I need its not possible. I’m trying to stay positive but it’s not always easy.

We’re both strong and this will all improve, the days are getting longer, spring is coming and we’re both fortunate to have good friends and family. Take care.

Cath xx

1 Like

Hi Janhhh,

Are you that well known typing error I created?

I don’t know if the term of endearment “wazzack” is Cornish or Army. My brother was brought up in Penzance and has been in the army all his adult life. He worked his way up the greasy pole from squaddie to Warrant Officer 1.

“He’s got a row of medals on his chest ,”

: “Big chest.”

“My brother; Sylvest.”

Points if you know the tune to that one.

But he’ll always be my baby brother.

A.

He’s got an arm like a leg? And a punch that could sink a battleship (big ship)? I take it?

I think that “wazzock” is actually an expression from up in t’north so it is more likely to have come into your brother’s conciousness via the army. Although I think that it might have been used on TV (in the 70’s? 80’s? in a comedy? or soap opera?) as a semi naughty exclamation for a useless person - a bit like “Rodney, you plonker” in Only Fools and Horses.

To explain how it came about, it is almost certainly connected with the Lancs/Yorks expression “wazz” which refers to something that people with MS know all about - “to have an urgent p***” wink

And next week on “Dictionary Corner” …

Actually, I now have a bone to pick with you Mr Albrecht. I have had an ear-worm of “My Brother Sylveste” going through what passes for my brain these days all morning since I saw your post. As I know ALL the words - AND the actions - I have been wasting my whole morning and my husband is thinking of calling the men in white coats :slight_smile: Funny that I can recall everything about an obscure song from WW1 (my dad used to sing it to me and it was one of his father’s favourites) but I can hardly remember what someone told me 5 seconds ago :frowning:

Thanks Cath for your lovely message.

Not doing too badly thanks. Just waiting for a plasterer to arrive. They told me 15-20 days but I don’t think it will take that long. They’ve already pulled out the old kitchen, done all of the electrics…new sockets, lights and extractor fan…and the floor was laid yesterday. So I have hopes that it might be finished by end of next week!

I’ve made the living room ok so that after builders have left for the day Dickie and I are quite cosy in there…albeit with boxes and microwave and stuff!

I ordered all frozen microwave meals. I do have use of the cooker in evenings and weekend but it just seems easier to live on microwave stuff…esp as there is no prep area.

Dickie is great on the valerian!!! Thank you so much for that tip! He’s not as drowsy on it now but not freaking out either.

So all in all it’s not as bad as expected. I’m very tired but hey what’s new???

Sorry to hear you are struggling so much. It’s very hard living with this thing isn’t it? It’s relentless. But yes Spring is coming & we do have good family and friends…AND of course we have each other on here.

Thanks again for your lovely supportive message. Thinking of you and wishing you well,

Pat xx

1 Like

The title of this thread should, surely, be renamed ‘A Million little tangents.’

I was bemused by the posts concerning the word ‘wazzack’ or ‘wazzock’, as recorded in the dignified realms of the OED.

It confirms what Boblatina opines, that it is a word probably first recorded in print in the 1970s in the lyrics of a comedy song Beaky Knucklewart by Mike Harding, of Rochdale Cowboy fame, on his One Man Show LP. How long it had been in use, before its alleged first appearance in print, is anyone’s guess.

It’s not a song I know; I found it on Youtube but it would not play. Shame, but it might strike a chord with someone?

Alun

​PS, if you have a library card, and your library is part of the scheme, you can have free access to the OED on line. Heaven.

Alun, I found out about the OED being available via your library card only yesterday. How spooky!

Also you can access the Dictionary of National Biography.

If I only I can find my library card. Used to be in there all the time, but haven’t been for some years. Probably a little known side effect of ms.

sorry, another tangent.

Kev

Didn’t know the song was WW1 vintage. I remember Johnny Silvo used to sing it around the folk clubs and festivals.

My new fact learnt for today, thanks!

Kev

Kev,

What a coincidence. Yes, the DNB is very useful.

Why not push the tangent a little further. You should also have access to the Oxford Reference library at

http://www.oxfordreference.com

There you will find enough dictionaries and encyclopaedias to fill an infinite number of lifetimes. Unfortunately, we are only blessed with one; however, there is no excuse for tedium with this wealth of information at our fingertips.

If this is not an incentive to find that library card then I don’t know what is. Like the droll humour, by the way.

Alun

I remember Mike Harding used to do a pretty good version of it too.

You can tell its vintage by the references to him saving the Lusitania!

Just remember: "Don’t push. Just shove. Plenty of room for you and me. He’s got an arm … "

10 points.

What actions?

You’re all a load of daft wazzocks in my humble opinion I can’t remember where I know the term from but for me it’s a term of endearment and always said with a smile, if asked I’d have said it was fromYorkshire.

Still at Mams and without wifi, at the moment I’m having coffee and cake while using Tescos wifi. Just called in home and it doesn’t look like I’ll be in before the weekend at the earliest.

I’m missing everyone too much, what did we do before we made cyber friends

Jan xxx

2 Likes

Missing you too Jan.

My ‘customer support officer’ just called in. She says mine should be done by weekend! Yay!

They’re putting the cabinets in today. Very noisy!

Hope yours is finished by weekend too. Hang on in there!

Pat xx

1 Like

We went down the pub. Seminal moments from 1972- present day include:-

1. White Lion, Penzance.
  2. Running Horse, Leatherhead.
  3. The Mermaid, Isles of Scilly.
  4. The Kingswood, Weymouth.
  5. Air Balloon, Portsmouth (terrific jazz on a Friday night).
  6. The Troubadour, Fulham (not a pub, but what the hell).
  7. Somewhere in Earlsfield (must have been one hell of a night if I can’t remember the name).

I’m not telling you about my current local, as I don’t want you lot turning up and blowing my cover. They think I’m just a normal drunk as I stagger from table to table, spilling my ale all over the shop. (Quiz night Thursday).

A.

2 Likes

Wha?

Oh, sorry. I misread that. I thought you’d typed “cannabis”.

A

1 Like