wish me luck as I start my campaign

Afternoon everyone.

Just been to look at the brand new Morrisons supermarket and I just cannot believe how remiss I was in checking out the disabled loo. To be honest, I cant say I saw any signs for loos, so it went out of my mind!

Some of you may recall my recent posts about Changing Places toilets. I was a bit surprised that I only got 1 reply, as I did think more of us would be interested.

These super-dooper loos are aimed at people using wheelchairs or scooters, who need a bit more than what is available in the regular accessible toilets (been told we prefer them to be called that, rather than ``disabled toilets`).

They are also tons better for anyone needing 2 carers (like me). Most toilets we`ve used have the wc in a corner, so there isnt enough room to let a carer position themselves at either side.

They also have (and this is the bit that really pleases me) a HOIST!!! Yippee! I`ve spent too much time either stuck on the loo, or on the floor, when my legs have given way.

Towns in West Yorkshire…Huddersfield, Bradford, Leeds and Wakefield already have PC loos, but not my town, Halifax.

So i`ve spoken to the campaign office and am launching the campaign myself! I have e-mailed the local MS branch and the council disability officer.

I`ll be leafleting and badgering folk to sign a petition at some point I expect. So if any of you visit halifax and see someone in a wheelchair handing out leaflets, it might be me! But not until the weather warms up quite a bit!

luv Pollx

Hi Poll,

I have not heard or seen any of these loos in Scotland however as I do not use a wheelchair or scooter I probably wouldn’t see them anyway however I would like to wish you the best of luck and if you can try to get an online petition as I for one would sign it. I am not sure how easy it is to do or if it costs money but hopefully you can get MS branch or someone else to help you. If you can get it posted on here I am sure you would get a lot of people signing.

Good luck

Claire

Thankyou Claire for your support. if youd like to check if there are any CP loos near you, just google the words Changing Room toilets. Youll be shown a map and sites of them.

luv Pollx

I went into the dissabled loo in Leeds market on a small scooter getting in was difficult as had to pull door and reverse at the same time, whilst people walked behind me going into the ladies.

But getting out was more difficult as i had to reverse out,and couldnt hold the door open with right hand and opperate scooter at the same time, theres no room to turn around and i had to shout and hope thet someone passing would hold the door open whilst i came out ,trying not to run her toes over at the same time.

In there, the loo was in a corner as you say no good to someone needing carers help.

The other thing i find daft is the washhand basin is on oneside of the room and the hand dryer is on the opposite wall, (in most diss,Loos) not much good if you have a stick or crutches having to get to the dryer with wet hands, on them is an accident waiting to happen.

I will sign a petition if you do one.

I like your new name by the way . Barbara.xx

Hi Barbara, ta for your reply.

The loo in the market sounds typical of many existing loos. The new Changing Places loo is in the trinity centre…opening tomorrow…there are more in Leeds.

Google the name and you`ll be able to see where they are.

Maybe well run` into each other next Thursday when I am there!

luv Pollx

Hello Poll

Just did a bit of googling down here in the South West:

There are 5 Changing Places facilities in Cornwall:

• Bread Street Gallery and Lescudjack Children’s Centre in Penzance
  • Ships and Castles Leisure Centre and the Falcare Centre in Falmouth
  • Camel Trail toilets in Wadebridge
  • Priory Road car park in St Austell

Also found details of “Sue Tucker - Campaigning in North Devon”. (might have some pointers for your campaign)

Somerset - Town Hall, in Weston Super Mare.

Thanks poll will have a look at that , not heard of them before. Barbara.xx

Good for you Poll. I wish you luck :slight_smile:

Karen x

I admire your energy and spirit, and hope you make headway. Not enough people are like you wanting to change things as your observations have noted. Disabled accessible loo for disabled with carers help for Halifax. It cant be easy going anywhere when you dont know what youll find, loos are very important and of uppermost importance for those who need to map out loos before any visit because of the need of help from carers.

I wish you well in your quest and hope you soon get a reply from your local disability officer at the council. Im sure he/she wont be able to say anything other than ‘it will be done’, or am I being too presumptious and simplistic?

Luv bren

xx

Cheers all for your supportive replies.

Gonna post about what happened yesterday…more fun!

luv Pollx

Well done Poll. The country needs more folk like you. Love the new name too.

Love Moyna xxx

Hi Poll Much rather know a “doer” than a “talker”…good on ya gal !! Xx