who remembers........not ms

Warm milk ( yeuch ) and jammy dodgers ( yum ) at break in Infants School.

Slider ( yay - was big T Rex fan ) and before that - Prophets, Seers and Sages and Beard of Stars.

The smell of coaldust in the air when the miners’ coal was delivered and tipped in a heap near their front gates - and “helping” my grandparents to barrow it over to the coalhole.

Jeux Sans Frontieres on the telly

memories…

My 1st job had atiquated equipment too adding machines with rolls of paper, handy though when doing payroll at least you could go back and check where any mistake may have occured, I did have reesponsibility for the tomato and cucumber ledger too…so important, don’t you know,in fact it did lead to some hysterical conversations,especially when managers insisted on converting the weight of tinned toms and adding it to the weight of fresh,can’t even explain how they came to the amount of cucumbers sold!..aah happy days indeed

Tinga, the cellar at my grandma’s had a very paticular smell, coal ,winalot dog biscuit and beeswax polish,it was also quite scary!

You had jammy dodgers at school?

My first job was a receptionist in a solicitors and I used the old plug and switches switchboard. Lovely!

I also learnt to type on a manual typewriter and then came in the old IBM golfball electric typewriter.

xx

Oh Shazzie, I always wanted a go on the switchboard at my dad’s office, I was mortified about the golf ball at college, they were very expensive weren’t they…still it wasn’t my fault, it did just go flying across the room and damaged the letters

Yes - and they were at least twice as large as they are nowadays, I’m sure!

[quote=“maude”]

Blossom,my sis had one of those,when the hood ‘inflated’ you looked like an alien.lol

[/quote] snap so did mine

I remember sitting at junior school listening to Peter and the Wolf I must have been about eight thats fifty years ago. I cant remember what I had for dinner or what day of the week it is but I can remember that and Miss West the teacher . Oh dear I am getting old

You are getting old? I had a copy of Peter and the wolf, I do have the cover not 100% on the whereabouts of the vinyl though

Tinga,you must have gone to a nice school! no jammy dodgers at mine

Maybe Coventry schools were special

Hi Everyone,

I remember Wagon wheels being 3 times larger.

Robert.

Remember before the ready salted crisp packets they had little blue paper wraps of salt to shake on the crisps. Remember the Barrets candy sweet cigarettes and ‘Spanish Gold’ pretend tobacco made from spicy coconut.

I remember the day the first ever edition of “Sparky” came out. Me and my mates were down at the shop before 8 to get it. Then we put our reflective armbands on and went to school where we had to stand in line to go in and were all terrified of Miss Cheyne, our teacher. A third of a bottle of warm milk at break and put outside to play irrespective of the weather. Apparently new fangled kids dissolve in bad weather. Then we had gym where if you fell down and bruised yourself your parents didn’t sue the school. This was followed by school dinners which usually consisted of some brown stuff and lumpy potatoes but tasted great. Nobody had a mobile phone and none of us bothered taking our carrier pigeons to school. If we wanted to speak to one of our mates we spoke to them using our voices and old fashioned things like that. When school finished and Miss Cheyne let us out of detention we eventually made our way home where we all sat down and had our tea together. Then it was out to play until our mothers shouted themselves hoarse trying to get us in and ignoring the plea for another 10 minutes. Off to bed where we did that unusual thing, we fell asleep coz we had no TV or computer in the room. God knows how we managed to survive such a harsh unhappy life. Of course the whole sorry saga started again in the morning when you woke up and there was frost on the inside of the bedroom window coz there was no central heating. Wouldn’t change those memories for anything. Gary

Skipping, hopscotch, jacks, roller skating, bike riding all these things kept us out of mischief. Disappearing for hours during school holidays with a bottle of pop and some sandwiches in brown paper bags over the the local river where we would dip our fishing nets in and find sticklebacks and put them in a jam jar before returning them to the river at the end of the day. Even heaven forbid paddling in the river with nothing on our feet and no life jacket! We always returned home in time for tea, bath and bed where we quickly fell asleep. Days where if the teacher ever told you off you knew that your parents would support the teacher 100%

At school there were class Monitors for everything and how proud we were to wear the Monitor badge. Really showing my age here but the only Monitor I did not want to be was the “Ink Monitor” filling up inkwells and getting covered in the stuff in the process. The competition in the top class in the infants school to be the first to complete the picture of a boat - each piece of the boat meant that you could recite one of the multiplication tables forward, backwards and answer random questions on that particular table. We all loved it and those who were finding it difficult were helped by their classmates during “playtime” over a warm bottle of milk - issued by of course the “milk monitors”. I loved my primary school. So sad when I had to leave it. Our headmistress even brought her dog to school every day and we played with him during our lunchbreak. Goodness me can you imagine the elf and safety brigade allowing that nowadays!

Gary and Dink’s, you’ve just taken me on a nice journey down memory lane…bliss :slight_smile:

Slide rules for maths ! even my kids maths teachers have never heard of them. I think calculators came in just after I did my maths olevel as I had a calculator for alevel maths ( I still remember what It looked like!)

Moyna xxx

A little more respect or senior citizens if you please, Blossom.

But seriously, we lived between RAF Biggin Hill, and RAF West Malling, and the skies were full of vapour trails and flaming aircraft. And, I was old enough to tell the difference between “ours” and “theirs”.

I can also remember the first time I flew - in a Tiger Moth when they were still in RAF service (parachute, leather helmet, etc).

Moyna - not only can I remember sliderules, I still have two (6" and 12"). Learned how to do Monte Carlo simulations with a sheet of paper, a pencil, a book of random number tables, and a pin.

Geoff

I remember all too well the wooden record players from school. When. I first started teaching we had to go on an audio visual course to be approved to use these damn machines. Also on the course was cine film. I recollect that the women were better at threading the projector because it was just like a sewing machine! Using “visual aids” in the classroom was a mammoth task of lugging heavy machinery hither and to. Nowadays my sister uses PowerPoint on her ipad! Jane