who remembers........not ms

It is strange that men (should say a lot of,not all) don’t seem to get to grips with threading a sewing machine, I suppose because most (but not all) didn’t make all their own and childrens clothes. My dad could knit though! and darn socks,I wonder how many people even bother darning socks any more?

Learning to make a sling with your brownie tie (before the cross over ones)

As a female, I never got the hang of threading a sewing machine either ( mind you, I think our school ones were Edwardian ). I got slung out of needlework eventually for being untterly hopeless. I do remember when they put in a “language lab” at school and we all felt terribly space age repeating our French phrases.

Domestic Science was all about baking then it seemed to me. We learned how to make Chelsea Buns, Rock Cakes and Breakfast Rolls but not how to budget or put together a healthy diet!

Hi Gary

I still have 200+ lp’s that I refuse to say farewell to! Just curious what kind of record player you bought and where from… mine has given up more or less after many years of (ab)use…

[quote=“josfromglos”]

Hi Gary

I still have 200+ lp’s that I refuse to say farewell to! Just curious what kind of record player you bought and where from… mine has given up more or less after many years of (ab)use…

[/quote] Bought one from Costco. It has built in speakers and the sound is pretty good. Made by ION. It was quite cheap but looks and sounds great. Gary

I remember, milk men, coal men, egg man fish man Mobil shop a pound, when it was worth a pound, going to Spain & food & petrol being half price, mini skirts & double decker buses, lol

And, just found big trak in the loft.

deleted

i still have a coalman!

ellie

I remember shaking vinegar in the crisps until they came out with salt ‘n’ vinegar flavour. Within a few years there were all sorts of new fangled flavours. There was also a time when a small bag of chips was 10p and crisps were about 8p so on a cold day I’d rather have a bag of chips to warm me up on the walk home from school.

I also remember the Winter of Discontent with the power cuts. We had a coal fire to make toast on and a paraffin stove that we could heat tinned beans or spaghetti on. We also used to toast lumps of cheese over the coal fire. I hate baked beans so I’d go without if that was the only choice … We used to sit around with oil lamps and candles and play board games. Can you imagine kids these days if they only had electricity for half a week? My son has a hissy fit if the wi-fi is down for half an hour …

Tracey x

I can remember buying fish and chips for a shilling…with scraps :slight_smile:

My first car - when l was 17 - 49yrs ago. VW Beetle - cost me £300 - lt was 5yrs old. the petrol was 4shillings 11p a gallon. My father insisted l had seatbelts fitted in it. Which then was quite unusual. They were not retractable - and forever getting shut in the doors.

We still have a milkman - but as a kid l do remember our milkman-Reg- had a horse-drawn milkfloat.

I remember getting up in the mornings to ice on the inside of the windows and frezzing cold lino on the floors cold water to wash in as the back boiler behhind the coal fire hadnt heated the water up yet.

Listening on a small transister radio to luxengburg,reel to reel tape recorders till the new ones came on the market that you put the tape into it and could recored on the move.oh the wonders of that.

Bunty,Jackie,and other comics to many to mention,tea bags. and vesper currys we thought were wonderful,the coal man carying sacks of coal through the house to the coal cupboard in the kitchen.

Long hot summer days when the school was out we would go to the farms and pick raspberrys and strawberrys wheigh them in and get paid for doing it,playing out on the street till it got too dark to see or our mums called us in.

Saterday afternoon watching the wrestling and having to stay quiet while mum checked the pools coupon in the hope she would win never did though,and the scary monsters in dr who the sibermen scared me silly and my brother was scared of the theme tune he would put his head in mums lap and she would cover his ears withe her hands and we would laugh at him, oh theres so much more i could say but thats enough for now.

thanks for haveing me drege up those memorys, barbara.xx

I vaguely remember the adults getting in a pickle about the change to decimisation, was that '69 or '70? I was only 4 or 5 years old so I didn’t have to worry about money. For years my dad would still tell us to put a ‘two bob bit’ in the electricity meter. He meant a 10p coin …

Tracey

I remember winning 10 shillings on the hoopla,at the fair…then my mother ‘put it somewhere safe’ and didn’t find it again (despite me telling her where she’d put it) until after decimalisation,so long after that we couldn’t even change it at the bank

Decimal came in 1971, I was just ready for leaving school. I love this thread, it could run forever :slight_smile:

I would’ve been 6 then . I just remember the adults getting their knickers in a twist about it!

Tracey x

Words that seem to not be used any more, or perhaps people just aren’t, peevish, giddy or mard any more (or maybe they just don’t use those words wheere I live now)

Gormless is another one

Ah Tinga “Gormless” one of my favourite words but I have always wondered what is gorm? to be gormless one presumably is missing this vital ingredient - but where to find it - one of those questions I have pondered…Bit like why do shoe repair shops also cut keys etc. Insomnia sure has me thinking about weird and wonderful things!

Gormless, such a good word! lol, but not heard peevish for a long,long time, due a comeback,along with gormless and nincompoop!