Where can I get equipment, free

I am on the way to being diagnosed with MS, clinically isolated syndrome even though I have had 2 relapses within 2 months.

Anyway, mobility and speech is being affected, I am sure I remember seeing that I can get free equipment to help in kitchen etc, like tin opener etc.

can anyone point me in the right direction please. Thanx x

Hi,

My Ms nurse referred me to adult services. They came out and done a assessment in my house.

They supplied me with a perching stool for the kitchen and a frame for around the toilet.

I would think every council does the adult services. Maybe worth looking on your local council website.​

It’s surprising how little things around the house make a big difference.

Hope things pick up for you soon.

​

1 Like

Sorry to hear you’re struggling.

My MS Nurse referred me for an assessment by an Occupational Therapist (OT) from Social Services.

I’m guessing you haven’t been referred to an MS Nurse yet but your GP might be a good starting point.

It might also be worth giving the MS Society Helpline a ring 0808 800 8000 as they may be able to suggest sources of help.

Good Luck!

Anne

1 Like

I am seeing my MS nurse on 1st July, just that I thought I would try and sort myself out so they can see I am keen not to be affected or reliant on anyone, don’t know if it’s denial. So also look at local council website, thank you.

Hi, over the 17 years I have had this chronic disability, I have had marvellous help from OT visits, physios, district nurses and other bods.

Yes, they can offer lots of gadgets and things to keep you safer at home and out and about…but with the cuts, there isnt as much on offer and sometimes,we have to buy our own things.

Best thing to do is ask Social Services for an assessment.

Hope you do get the help you need.

luv Pollx

Hi Poll

thank you for your response. I will look into an assessment, think I have one on the 1st July as just a week out of hospital (2 month stay) gggrrrrr… Seems like mine has come on suddenly, which is scary but more aware of it now. Any top tips would be great for this newbie xx