When to contact DVLA

Hello,

I am “in limbo” having been diagnosed with clinically isolated syndrome / isolated clinical event including lesions on MRI.

I know you have to notify DVLA if you receive a definite clinical diagnosis of MS - but what are my obligations in this limbo stage? I want to comply with the law, but worry about the effect on my insurance if I contact DVLA without being obliged to do so.

I do not believe that my symptoms impede my driving at present.

Can antbody offer advice?

Thanks

silverlining

Hi

I’m pretty sure you are not under any obligation to notify the DVLA until you have a confirmed diagnosis. Infact, my GP urged me not to do anything official until I was given my diagnosis.

However, I am not an expert on this, and I’m sure someone will be able to confirm for sure

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Hi silverlining I’m not sure whether this falls under the DVLA disclosable conditions but I would given them a quick ring to check…better be safe than sorry !! What I DO know because I work in law is that contrary to popular belief, you DO need to notify your motor insurance company of a change in health circumstances as, should you be involved in an accident and it transpires that you had not declared a health condition, your insurance can and often is invalid. At very worse you can subsequently be charged with uninsured driving. Because of doubts cast over this on previous occasions, I double checked this legal standpoint with a road traffic police officer a couple of days who confirmed it to be correct. Xx

Hi, just adding to the above comments, your insurance premium will NOT be increased. It’s just a disclosure thing and they don’t use it as an excuse to load your insurance costs!

Traitsy and MrsH are both right - follow their advice.

Geoff