Wheelchair

My partner has had progressive MS for many years and uses a zimmer frame to walk, but it is becoming more and more difficult. I don’t know what will happen when she is no longer able to walk and has to use a wheelchair. How will she transfer from bed to chair, from chair to toilet, etc. What appliances will she require? What care will be required? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Jas, I can hear the panic in your message.

I know how that feels only too well, but now I am through those stages, I have found the solutions and am only too happy to share my experience in the hope that it calms you.

I have PPMS and have had it for 23 years. I am 68 now.

When I still walked or shuffled, I found walking backwards safer/easier for a while!

Due to daily falls and total exhaustion, I began to use a wheelchair…part time for a couple of years and then full time.

I used to use a Patient Turner to transfer from one seat to another. Its a tall stand with a rotating base. The user places the feet on the base and gently pulls up on the stand`s handles…a carer holds it all steady and moves the turntable. They are good.

When I lost my weightbearing ability, I moved on to a hoist. A floor standing portable hoist was brought for me by an OT. Infact an OT helped me through every mobility stage.

Next we had 2 ceiling hoists fitted…one in the lounge and one in the bedroom.

I am hoisted out of bed and onto the shower chair/commode and wheeled over the loo. Then I wheel into the open shower (wet room) and carer helps me with all this.

I highly recommend you ask an OT to do an assessment.

Try not to think this is all too hard to contemplate…it isnt…

Take care.

Love Boudsxx

1 Like

Bouds

Many thanks for your helpful comments. I hope you don’t mind if I ask some questions that come to mind.

What was your reason for installing ceiling hoists ?

When do you use your portable hoist ?

Presumably the ceiling hoist in the lounge is by a comfy chair ?

Best wishes Jas

Hi, no of course I dont mind your questions chuck.

1.The reason for having ceiling hoists installed was because we had tried a portable floor hoist. They take up a lot of room and are heavy to push on carpeted floors. The portable hoist went back once the overheads were in and we liked them.

1. Yes, the lounge one has my riser/recliner underneath it. The bedroom one is above the bed.

Anything else love?

Boudsx