What do you think?

Hi,

Would like to know what you guys think about this. Neuro ordered a neck MRI after brain MRI showed only 2 UBOs. When they were doing the scan, I was moved inside the machine up and down so asked the radiologist how many sections they did. Then he was like erm, actually they more than neuro ordered. I didn’t ask why because it was busy there but since then it’s been on my mind. Why did they decide to do more? What do you think?

Thanks!

Sorry, I wouldn’t try to read anything into it at all. Perhaps they just did whatever they normally do, and they thought it was his request that was a little odd?

It’s honestly not worth trying to deduce anything from what goes on in the scanner room. The results are the only part of the whole thing that matters, and even they are not very useful without being interpreted by an expert.

This is on a par with trying to guess what your letter says by how long it takes to get to you - i.e. unreliable, and don’t even try! You can drive yourself mad trying to analyse every minute aspect of your investigations for hints - or what you believe might be hints. None of it means anything until you get it from the horse’s mouth, as it were - “horse”, in this case, being the neuro.

Tina

Only reason i’m bothered is cause the same people a few months ago said they can only do what the neuro ordered. That was when i had the brain MRI and asked if they could do my spine as well. Thought they were gonna say no but asked anyway. So now it’s strange they just decided to sort of overrule neuro’s order.

I think you’ll find it’s not that uncommon for them to deviate slightly from what was requested - although I’ll concede it’s more common for them to leave something out, that was requested, than to add anything - but as I said, it might have been his request that seemed “non-routine”, so if he had asked for less than is usual in these circumstances, they might have taken the initiative and decided to do the rest anyway. It’s actually less work for them than having to scan the patient again later, because the neuro realises he hadn’t asked for everything he needed.

Neuros aren’t infallible. Mine prescribed tablets for me last time. I got to the chemist with the prescription, only to be told: “I’m sorry, they don’t come as tablets in that dose - only the capsules. Will that be OK?”

OK, to you, me, most people maybe: tablet/capsule, what difference? But to the pharmacy, they definitely expected the prescription to say “capsules”, if it only comes as capsules, and queried why he was asking for something that did not exist! Luckily, they did not make me go all the way back and get a corrected prescription. I just said: “If that’s all it comes as, capsules will be fine!”

But technically, he should have known it isn’t manufactured in the form he prescribed. It only would have mattered if I’d needed to take half tablets, as obviously, you can cut a tablet, but not a capsule - all the contents would fall out. Luckily, he had only prescribed me whole ones - no half doses, so I didn’t need to worry that I wouldn’t be able to cut them up. Not the end of the world, but it just shows they sometimes request things that don’t make sense to the recipient, so the recipient either has to send it back with a query, or use their professional skill and judgement to work out what it should have said!

Tina