what car do you have

My car is due for renewal in december, I have a Corsa which is automatic and has hand controls, i dont need the hand controls was ill advised by physio who said i would need them, I know need a car with good air con just in case we get good weather as the heat really hits me, a good size boot for my walker , any one got any good ideas?

trish

Hi Trish,

I have an Astra Sri its perfect for my walker and w/chair, I suffer with heat 2 the aircon is fantastic

Best of all it handles like a train

Yep I agree. I’ve got an Astra and its a tardis when needed, especially going to the local tip!! Plus it drives beautifully. I love it. Had a focus saloon and I couldn’t stand it… Vile car…but that’s just my opinion on all Ford cars cos every one I’ve had has been naff. Good luck!!

I use to have an astra but couldn’t get it without adding to the payment, so afraid vinnygirl like you i hate the corsa it as it reminds me of my disability especially the hand controls ,which i dont need

I have a Vauxhall Meriva.
The seating position is great, really comfy. it allows me to drive much further then I could in my Astra. in the Astra I couldn’t do more than 90 miles or so before my legs went funny. I have do the the near 300 miles to Devon in the Meriva with no problems.
The air con is not bad and being an MPV, the boot is large and a useful shape.
I would say go for the deisel version if you do consider it.

Paul

thanks folks for your replies

Hi I have a VW Golf… Automatic, Aircon, Diesel (56 mpg) No hand controls but adaptive cruise control which means it will start, accelerate, slow down, brake automatically with no foot action for longer distances. Just driven 325 miles and only used brake and accelerator at traffic lights and roundabouts. I loved it. £495 advanced payment I got some back with returning old car in good nick. Wheelchair fits in boot. Regards Neil

I have a Focus, automatic, aircon too. I like Fords, hate Vauxhalls…never driven one and got a comfortable driving position. My wife has a Meriva and it is terrible. Plus it has these little side windows that make visibility dangerous. Work has Astra’s as pool cars, can’t get on with them either.

I was tied between a Golf and Focus…chose the Focus and love it!! Must admit my current auto is not as good as the manual i had before but needs must and that!!

I’ve got a Honda Civic auto. The boots enormous can fit my walker in and loads of other stuff easy. Air con, and the dash kind of wraps around you so you don’t have to reach for any controls. Cruise control which freaks me right out so I don’t use that! Easy to park and really light to handle.

Happy shopping

Dawn

I’ve got a Honda Civic auto. The boots enormous can fit my walker in and loads of other stuff easy. Air con, and the dash kind of wraps around you so you don’t have to reach for any controls. Cruise control which freaks me right out so I don’t use that! Easy to park and really light to handle.

Happy shopping

Dawn

dawn

Fancied the civic but thought i would have to put a down payment on it because i need automatic

bump

I have a ford kuga, but only because I needed something high up to get in and out of because I struggle with my back. If I could get away with a lower car I would definitely go for a civic. I used to have an s type a few years back. The dash does two around you and it is amazing to sit inside and drive. The only tng I didn’t like was the small rear window without a wiper that wasn’t the best for visibility when it rained, but I loved the car so much, I forgave it for that. Not sure if the new ones are any better on that score. I have seen the newer models and they are pretty damn sexy for a car, but I am a bit of a petrol head at heart. I wonder if they would do an audi r8 on motability? Hmmmmm lol well a girl can but dream eh? I could get in it, just wouldn’t be able to get back out of it again without a hoist lol. Sam x

i have a kia venga but i can’t wait for my astra sri which is on order! should be here by end of july.

How do u go about getting motability? Was diagnosed 2 years ago can I also get this new pip payment

if you have the full mobility benefit, go into a garage dealing with Mobility cars and they will do the rest, here in scotland most car showrooms are owned by arnold clark , and they are well versed in it

trish

Hi I have a Nissan note and can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s classed as a super mini but is surprisingly spacious inside. The size of boot is entirely your choice. The back seats move backwards and forward depending on what your requirements at the time. You can also make it shallow or deep by adding or taking away a removable shelf. There’s loads of choice. I have also found that economically it is far cheaper to run than my previous car, which was a Ford Fiesfa. I would estimate that I am spending neatly £30 less a month in fuel. It also has satnav and air conditioning. Well worth consideration in my opinion. Ann Marie Xxx

My dad has a Skoda Yeti because he is tall and has arthritis so needs his knees in line with hips when getting in and out. The boot is huge but it is still fairly small for a 4WD vehicle and is easy to drive. It is automatic and has air con, sat nav, fully compatible with mobile phone. He’s always showing off how he can answer calls from the steering wheel ;-). He didn’t have to make a down payment either. However there was an 8 week waiting list as they’re very popular. He says it is very economical especially when compared to the Range Rover he owned before getting a Motability car.

Tracey x

Toyota all the way - just ordered a new Aygo (super mini) today, Mrs is taking it and I’m getting her Toyota Auris…have to pay it off, will be the hard bit, but hey, we only live once…

I have an Aygo automatic and I love it. I’m not sure the boot will be big enough for the original poster though. Perhaps a bigger Toyota?

Tracey