Watery/streaming eyes

Does anyone suffer from severe watering eyes?

i have had this problem for many years. When I’m walking outside the slightest change in temperature causes my eyes to stream uncontrollably.

Its embarrassing as people think I’m crying, I ruins my make up before I get to where I going for a night out and it’s making my skin dry on my face.

Any thought on this would be appreciated.

allergy?

have you tried anti-histamine?

i have a permanent sniffle which is not a cold or hayfever.

​anti histamines are the only thing for it.

carole x

Have you seen your gp about this, to rule out blocked tear ducts?

X

I’ve tried anti histamine as I normally get hay fever but I don’t make any difference. It’s all year round every day.

When I had my optic neuritis checkup they checked my tear ducts and tried to open them up but it made no difference.

There is a very common surgical procedure that can be carried out for blocked tear ducts. Depends how bad it is and how much it is bothering you.

X

Had this for years as well.

I do not think it’s an MS thing, as I had it for years before diagnosis (although I also think I had MS for years before Dx, so there ya go!)

I don’t get it so much in Summer, so I think it’s a temperature thing. It does not need to be very windy - and my eyes are protected to some extent by glasses anyway.

My mum (who doesn’t have MS) has had it for years as well, so seems to be a family trait.

I also always have a scratchy throat and a sniffle, whether I have a cold or not. Virtually the first thing I have to do when I get up in the mornings is look for a tissue, because my nose starts running straight away. Also whenever I eat anything - and I do mean anything. Nobody’s allergic to everything, so if it were allergies, it should sometimes be OK, depending on what I’m eating. It never is.

I used to think that maybe it was temperature-related - like the tears - and was triggered by eating something hot. But it happens too if I eat just salad or a sandwich.

I just have to put up with it, as I don’t think it’s an actual illness - more a case of the way I am. Although I did notice it seemed better on holiday in Italy - my mum said the same (about her stuff, not mine).

So there seems to be something about the British climate that doesn’t help us snifflers and criers.

I shouldn’t think it’s pollution, as Naples must be incredibly polluted, yet apparently no problem there. I think the only way I’d fix it is to move permanently.

Tina

x

i seem to just stream after yawning, eyes and nose, and when i even think about yawning, it sets me off (and, of course, typing this has got me going). cold weather makes it happen as well. could this be down to hyperreflexia, i wonder?! i also have a couple of allergies than require the use of a steroid nasal spray, but that’s just to stop extreme congestion.

wendy x