Vulnerable, in ref to Coronavirus

The news keeps referring to the elderly and vulnerable people. Does vulnerable people include those of us with MS, I can’t find any clarified?

Hi,

I’ve been thinking the same thing.

One news report mentioned people with lung or heart conditions.

Just keeping an eye on MS twitter posts.

Keep well,

Jen

Yes. We are in the vulnerable section. We are immuno suppressed so our systems can’t deal very well with illnesses. I have been told I am now on lockdown by my medical people. Can’t go out. Cant have people come in to see me. Good luck. Anne

1 Like

Yes. We are in the vulnerable section. We are immuno suppressed so our systems can’t deal very well with illnesses. I have been told I am now on lockdown by my medical people. Can’t go out. Cant have people come in to see me. Good luck. Anne

If I’m interpreting this correctly MS is a autoimmune condition that may make us more susceptible to catching it. I’ve also got diabetes which is also autoimmune and I’ve got high blood pressure, but unless I’m prepared to live in a 8 foot X 16 foot cell (otherwise known as my bedroom) I don’t see how I can self isolate!

So MS is immuno suppressed so our systems can’t deal very well with illnesses.
Does this mean I need to go into lockdown for 12 weeks even if under 70 years?

Just asking as I don’t know.

Virtual hugs

Min xx

This website says that having MS doesn’t necessarily make you more vulnerable to getting the virus but obviously if we do get it MS symptoms can be exacerbated. If you’re on DMDs it’s a different issue because your immune system is suppressed.

1 Like

My understanding is that MS without taking any DMDs is no different from anyone else. It’s the DMDs that make us more vulnerable?

4 Likes

I have several autoimmune problems and feel that I need to follow fairly strict precautions to try to avoid getting C19. On top of this hubby has lung disease so very definitely does not want to get it. Our son who lives at home is on dmd, s for severe Crohns disease… We will be being extremely careful and definitely anti social! What is 12 weeks when the alternative could be much worse. Good luck to all, but let’s hope no one needs it. Ell

2 Likes

Yes, MS is on the list: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

4 Likes

Garry Thankyou so much for that link. Everyone on this site needs to read it. And spread the word. Anne x

2 Likes

So, please correct me if I’m wrong but if I’m on a DMD and I work in a hospital with face to face contact with patients then I shouldn’t go to work for 12 weeks? If so, I guess GP for sick note?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults explains it quite well.

1 Like

Hey Carole

I work in a hospital too with face to face contact. So like you thinking I should be off for 12 weeks. Asking my manager for the hospital policy on this one - you know how they like their policies!!!
Let me know how you get on with your sick note. However where I work they know I have MS and should know that I am vulnerable requiring 12 weeks off so don’t need to bother GP for sick note it should be automatic. Or perhaps I will ask to see OH doctor as they deal with work related matters??? Connnnnnnnnnnfused

Min xx

Hey Min! Let me know how you get on with your manager. I emailed my MS nurse and she said I don’t need to self isolate, I just need to try and maintain social distancing so can work if I want. Our OH dept is overwhelmed and I can’t get an appt there. I am going to speak to GP and get a sick note for a week and then see what the situation is then. Let me know how you get on xx

1 Like

You are only immuno suppressed if you are taking medications for your MS like Ocrevus etc. i.e. if i was on Ocrevus i would be immuno suppressed, as i dont i am not.

I have a very healthy immune system. Mind you i dont go out anyway only to the park with the dog.

You have to be your own advocate you know how you feel if you are prone to catching things quickly then self distance yourself.

or talk to your MS nurse.

MS is thought to be an immune-mediated disease.

This means that the body’s immune system attacks healthy nerve tissue, which causes nerve damage throughout the entire body. …

However, drugs that suppress the immune system may make people more vulnerable to infection.

You’re more likely to catch a cold or flu virus if you have MS, especially if you take certain medicines that curb your immune system – your body’s defense against germs. And when you get sick with the flu, your MS raises the chances of health problems that may need treatment at your doctor’s office or a hospital.

MS is not an immune suppressed illness. they are still not sure it is caused through a wonky immune system. you are however, at risk if you are on immune suppression DRUGS.

EXACTLY bexhc. IF people are on immune suppressed drugs they should have always been self distancing themselves anyway.

We are only immuno suppressed if on DMDs so we just have to do social distancing we DONT have to self isolate for 12 week. If NOT on a DMD this is where my main confusion was.