Urine retention; MS or Fibroids

Hello, just looking for a little bit of advice. I had a terrible case of urine retention last week, it was agony like never felt before. After a trip to A and E got catheterised and Id been holding 860ml!! I assumed it was due to my fibroids i have, but now Im thinking could it be all linked to my MS. Im rrms, never had retention before? Im under Gynaecology for my fibroids but the gynaecologist suggested that it could be linked to my MS? Should I mention to my MS nurse? X

I had fibroids some years ago. They gave me really heavy periods but never urine retention. I would mention the problem to your MS nurse and also to your GP. It may have nothing to do with MS or fibroids. However, if it’s just one incident I’m not sure what anyone can do to investigate it.

Hi Vincent74

Definitely mention this to your MS Nurse - I have urine retention which is definitely caused by my MS which was way, way worse than the mild retention/difficulty having a pee that I had before getting a fibroid removed previously. I got a referral to Urology via the Neuro/GP, who had to catheterise me because (fortunate/not fortunately) I can no longer feel when my bladder is full and have difficulty emptying said bladder properly. 800ml lighter, and a week with a catheter to give my bladder a chance to recover; I now self catheterise several times a day.

The Neuro may want to run an MRI to check for lesions in specific areas to check this out.