Treatments for coronavirus (COVID-19)

Anybody else had this email from the NHS?

Important information about new treatments for coronavirus.

The NHS is using new treatments for coronavirus. Your medical records show that you might be suitable for these treatments if a PCR test confirms that you have coronavirus.

These treatments need to be given quickly after you start to feel unwell. They can stop you from getting seriously ill. More information: Treatments for COVID-19 - NHS

I’ve cropped the rest of the email off

The new drugs are:

What’s anybody’s thoughts or experiences?

I’ve had same message via text and email.

I had it yesterday by email.

Pam x

Cheetah, I’ve also had this message concerning two new treatments for Covid.

Following the link within the email to the NHS website, I read under the heading “Who can have a COVID-19 treatment” that we (MSers) are considered to be at high risk of becoming seriously ill with Covid. See bullet point 2 “Rare condition affecting the brain or nerves.”

I’m remembering when, about 18 months ago, we did NOT seem to be considered at high risk when it came to priority supermarket delivery slots. So, I guess we’re being better recognised now, or maybe I missed something important along the way… (I’m not always paying attention).

Ben

Yes anyone who is immun suppressed will have this emal. So basically if you have a PCR test positive for covid you will be offered an anti viral which has proven to work against SARS. Molnupravir is the choice for Omicron IT is showing great strides to recovery and could stop you going into hospital. If i was immune suppressed and offered it i would certainly take it.

its only meant to be for immune suppressed according to an aricle i read. or people who are at high risk of having SARS and becoming very sick with it.

This includes some people who have:

• Down’s syndrome
  • a rare condition affecting the brain or nerves (including multiple sclerosis, motor neurone disease, Huntington’s disease or myasthenia gravis)
  • sickle cell disease
  • certain types of cancer
  • HIV or AIDS
  • a severe liver condition (such as cirrhosis)
  • chronic kidney disease (CKD) stage 4 or 5
  • had an organ transplant
  • certain autoimmune or inflammatory conditions (such as rheumatoid arthritis or inflammatory bowel disease)
  • a condition or treatment that makes you more likely to get infections
  • had certain types of chemotherapy in the last 12 months
  • had radiotherapy in the last 6 months

https://gavingiovannoni.substack.com/p/omicron-covid-19-update Sue posted this link a day or two ago. Read Prof Gs replies to comments on the bottom of the page, dated 19 & 20 Dec.

Ben

1 Like

I am fully vaccinated and tested positive for Covid on 19th Jan 22. I had had some very very rough days but kept hoping each bad day was the last bad day. On day 7, I was desperate and called for help asking for the anti viral medication. I was told that they have to be given at latest 5 days after your symptoms start- so anyone reading this, don’t wait, if you feel rough ask sooner than later. I’m now day 9 and although things are better, I am not ready to leave the house.

I got a letter like that before Christmas and I then got my own PCR test kit to use if I test positive on lateral flow so there’s no delay.
Hope you’re back to full strength very soon.

1 Like

I’m going to have the sotrovimab one, I’m covid positive at the moment and was called yesterday to be offered it. Haven’t heard since though with an appointment so a bit concerned as I know it needs to be given early to be effective. Has anyone else had it and how long did it take to be booked in?

I tested positive on lft and sent off the priority pcr test. Was called a couple of days later asked lots of questions and referred to the consultant in charge of the treatments. She called me and said they had to be given within five days of positive result which I still was. However she decided I’d got a chest infection by then and just dished out antibiotics to me saying I was too late to get the meds even though I was on day 4!!
They’ve replaced the priority pcr test but I don’t think I’d bother again.
I don’t know if having them would have helped me in the period afterwards as I now feel worse than I did when I had it a month ago! I’m even more breathless than usual (I have bronchiectasis) and am so desperately tired now I don’t know what to do with myself. I’ve now had my fourth jab so hope I won’t get it again.