Transverse Myelitis 9 Years Ago Do I Have The Vaccine

Hi all, I’m hoping you can maybe offer me some advise with regards to the unknown.

9 years ago I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis, this was following what I thought was a standard virus.

I lost the use of my right hand and fingers and my speech was affected.

I had inflammation on my brain and was left with 2 scars.

I was told by the neurologist that he expected it to be a one off, and if something like it happened again it would be diagnosed as MS.

I had a negative lumber puncture, evoked potential weren’t right at the time.

I was told to go away and live my life.

Touch wood I’ve never had an episode again since.

I don’t know if I should take the COVID vaccine when offered it, I’m currently 39.

When I was pregnant I refused the flu vaccine as was worried about that then.

I’m scared that I will have another episode and get diagnosed with MS.

I’ve look online for any information and I’ve seen a few reports where people had a transverse Myelitis episode.

I’ve spoken to my doctor who has referred my query onto neurology but I have a feeling they will come back and say they don’t really know.

Has anyone come across this or can offer any advise?

Thank you in advance.

hello App

Covid is a recent-ish virus and the vaccines even newer as they were developed as a response to covid.

I suspect that nobody knows if the vaccine will make you relapse.

Weighing it all up, I’d have the vaccine because whilst relapses can be nasty, Covid can be deadly.

Carole x

It seems to me likely that a nasty dose of Covid has a far greater chance to triggering further neurological trouble than a vaccine. In your shoes, I would see avoiding Covid as my priority and get vaccinated as soon as I could.

Alison

I know this is a dead thread, but I feel like replying anyway.

I had Transverse Myelitis back in 2004. I recovered mostly, still can’t run and suffer with nerve pain, but could have been worse.

My diagnosis was down as idiopathic, but I suspect it might have been caused by a virus (pretty mild one) a few weeks prior.

I was a bit hesitant about vaccines too, but I’ve had the flu vaccine for the last few years now (as I have another condition that makes me eligible for free vaccine).

I’ve also had both Covid vaccines (AstraZenica) and the booster just recently (Moderna). The first AstraZenica gave me a bout of chills that night, but next day was fine, albeit knackered. Second AstraZenica had no symptoms what so ever. The Moderna I just felt a bit tired the next day.

Of course, there is always the chance of a reaction and I have also heard of one or two people in the vaccine trials having an episode of TM. Bear in mind though that correlation does not imply causation. In other words, it may (likely?) have had nothing to do with the vaccine, other than timing. From what I remember, both cases were discounted as being caused by the vaccine (or at least left as undetermined).

There have, however, been many cases of neurological issues caused by Covid itself, including TM. In my mind, the risks from Covid (in general and regarding TM) outweigh the risk from the vaccine.

Sorry if this got a bit preachy, I’m not anti-anti-vax lol

I have PPMS and weird though it is, after my COVID jabs (Pfizer) I actually experienced a lull in symptoms that lasted about a fortnight. Probably the best few weeks I’ve had, symptom-wise, in a couple of years.