Forum

Transfering from no end date DLA to PIP?

Hi all,

The person I care for just got a dreaded letter to say they need to transfer from DLA to PIP. The letter nicely warns that just because they’re getting DLA now doesn’t mean they’re going to get PIP and I’ve seen plenty in the press to cause serious concern.

The person I care for has MS and has had it for thirty years, been on DLA higher rate all that time. Their health as seriously deteriorated over recent years and I believe they now are classes as having secondary progressive, and there’s no way they’d be able to return to work or survive on the lower rate PIP, so I’m really concerned for them.

I’ve heard horror storys about Atos and what not, but it all tends to be connected to new applications or people who were perhaps not classed as “no end date” with their DLA.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation? Does the “no end date” not matter when counting towards PIP? Are you just treated the same as everyone else when applying or do they go a little easier on people who have been on DLA in such a way for so long with degenerative diseases?

Any help/advice would be a big help.
Thanks all.

Hi, from what I understand, those of us, me included, who were on highest mobility and personal care indefinitely, do have to apply for PIP like a newbie or everyone else in our situation.

I havent had my call yet and dread it, just like everyone else.

But do as others have said, send in as much info as poss…or join Benefits and Work at a tad under £20 for the best advice.

Good luck to your pal.

pollsx

Hi Lealea, I am presuming you are referring to the indefinite award for DLA. Unfortunately, you will find that an awful lot of people were awarded that decision in the beginning, but have had to apply for PIP & start all over again, I am 1 of the many. Assessments are very likely regardless of diagnosis of MS or any other illness. The key is to get in touch with CAB or other organisations like them to help fill in the form. Gather all the evidence yourself, GP, consultant, physio, anyone who is looking after the person you are caring for. You need to request these letters asap, send them with your completed form. I am secondary MS, I had an assessment & have been awarded PIP at the enhanced rates. Get as much evidence & support as you can, before you submit the form, start contacting the medical professionals now. CAB will be able to guide you on how to describe how the illness affects the person you care for. If you have received the DWP letter, you will have to reply by the date given, evidence is key, can’t stress it enough Tracey x

Tracey,

Yep, that’s what I meant - the person I care for thought it was called “no end date”, it’s been so long since she was awarded DLA, I guess it maybe changed names.

What letters do I need to request? All the form asks for is names and addresses of people to contact, should I be requesting supporting letters myself, if so - to say what?

The GP is useless and couldn’t be bothered to hear me out when I called asking for him to let me know if he could support what I was saying. The occupational therapist has been quite involved with providing equipment and such over the years but nothing recent so she’s not much use. The MS nurse again doesn’t have much involvement either but the person I’m caring for has a significant care package in place from the local authority which I hope should validate what I’m putting on the forms about her abilities. Wil include a copy of her needs assessment with the PIP forms in the hopes of that being a good bit of evidence, but it doesn’t feel like enough. I have no idea what the doctor/MS nurse etc has down on their files and none of them really have a clear picture of what struggles she faces day-to-day, so I’m really concerned they either won’t be able to validate things.

Did you have to have a home visit when they came to assess you?

Thanks to you and Boudica. xoxox

Lea, gather as much evidence as you can from her care givers. I wrote to all mine & told them I needed the letters for PIP application, (do it asap!!) I asked CAB to help me fill in my form, but you need to make an appointment with them asap, as they are very busy, the lady who helped me actually got me an extension on the deadline date. I typed all my answers, bit like an essay, all about how my illnesses affected me on a daily basis. I also sent pending appointment letters, treatment I have/had received & all my med changes. If you have any past letters, photocopy them & include them as well. Remember to put lady’s name, NI number on all correspondence. My letters from Dr etc stated my dx, the fact I’ve got RA & Scleroderma as well & how each 1 affected me. Don’t delay, get on it straight away. I did have a home visit & 2 weeks later I was awarded PIP. The lady from CAB asked them for a home assessment, I believe Capita do more of home visits than Atos. Can’t stress the need for evidence enough, as much as possible. Good luck Tracey xx

Lea

To add to what Tracey’s told you, have a look at the points table. PIP is divided into Daily Living (like DLA for Care) and Mobility, to get the maximum award for each, the applicant need 12 points for each component. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

You score the highest that applies for each Activity. So if a person can cook with assistance, they score 4 points for that Activity. Then whatever other points apply for each of the activities are added up.

The care plan from the Local Authority will be very useful to include as evidence. You can ask the occupational therapist to write a letter stating what equipment has been supplied and is in use still, even if the equipment was supplied a long time ago. You can also include photographs as part of your evidence. For example, I included a photo of my wet room, showing the shower chair and grab bars.

If you can get the CAB to help with the form then do, otherwise, if there’s any other local welfare rights services try getting help from them. There are also guides available from the CAB: Personal Independence Payment - Citizens Advice and there is also a website who provide members of their service with guides: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ but to access their guides you have to pay about £20.

Regardless of the way the application is made, gather as much evidence as you can, send photocopies, not originals and don’t miss the deadlines. If you think there’s a chance of missing a deadline, phone the DWP and see if you can get an extension as the CAB did for Tracey.

Before you post the completed application off, photocopy the whole thing, just in case.

Once the assessors have looked at the form and the evidence you’ve provided, they will decide if a physical assessment is needed or whether they can make a decision just from the paperwork, or maybe just with a phone call. If they need a physical assessment in their offices and it’s very difficult for the lady you care for to attend one, you can request a home visit. Sometimes they do this anyway (there are two companies involved in the assessments, one company does mostly home visits, the other does very few).

Hopefully it will all be OK and the lady will get the maximum entitlement easily without a physical assessment. I managed to go from a full, indefinite DLA award to a full PIP award with no physical assessment. The assessment should last for at least 10 years before I have to be reassessed.

Sue

2 Likes

Citizens Advice is who I used. Awarded full, then denied any, then appealed twice, went to a tribunal by myself & awarded full again. On both parts. My trust in people has gone out the window now. Just persist & the right decision will be made.

Best of luck in your endeavour. It’s a bureaucratic nightmare to catch anyone out.

Best regardsTerry

I agree and you have to remember that the Disability Assessor works for the DWP. I am in the process of going for a mandatory reconsideration and I’m prepared to go the whole way. I have Secondary Progressive MS and if you look on the website of DWP medical conditions an indefinite award is recommended. I had middle care and enhanced mobility on DLA indefinitely and despite now being worse I was assessed with 6 points care and 4 points mobility thus awarding me nothing. This is only my opinion but I believe that PIP is designed to get as many people off disability benefits as possible. I was told by the CAB that as many as 85% did not get awarded at first, the same with the mandatory reconsideration and it was better news at Tribunal. This is a stressful and lengthy process. I have sent in some more medical evidence having been through my medical records. Watch this space.

My hubby has just had the dread letter, he has been on DLA on high rate on both just been transferred to PIP and they have put on standard rate for care and lost his mobility part so he has lost the car. We are going to fight it he is already stressed about it. How can they do this it’s hard enough. He has secondary progressive MS and COPD he is also being tested for lung cancer. Apparently the assessor said he has no problems with breathing or breathless. On the day of the face to face appointment he was antibiotics and steroids for pneumonia which has been re-occurring. I wish everyone else the best of luck.