TAKING VITAMIN D3 25UG AND MAGNESIUM 100 MG ...ADVICE PLEASE

HELLO

HOPE YOUR ALL OK.

IM JUST WONDERING IF ANY ONE HERE CAN ADVISE SAFTEY AND AMOUNT IN MS.

OF VITAMIN D3 25UG AND MAGNESIUM TABS TOO 100 MG.

IVE BEEN TAKING VIT D FOR OVER A YEAR THATS OK. I ALSO TAKE A MULY VITAMIN TOO. BUT WONDERERED WHAT THE LONG TERM IMPLICATIONS MIGHT BE.

ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THEY MIGHT ALL AFFECT MS ?

THANKYOU EVERYONE

Hi,

25 micrograms (µg) of Vitamin D3 is absolutely fine for anybody. In fact rather on the low side for anyone with MS (but don’t forget there’s probably some in your multivitamin too). My neurologist recommends 50µg as the minimum we should be supplementing. Some people here are on doses many times higher still, although I don’t personally recommend that, as it is possible to overdose on the mega-high doses, and the symptoms are not dissimilar to those of MS itself, so not immediately obvious what you’ve done.

I’ve no idea what the recommended daily amount of magnesium is, or even if there is one. I take 750mg a day, in combined calcium and magnesium tablets (if you are supplementing Vit D, you should ideally supplement calcium too). I just buy ordinary over-the-counter strength from Boots, and take as instructed. I don’t know if I should be taking more or less,

Research is increasingly implicating low Vitamin D in the risk of relapse with RRMS, and possibly in the causes of MS itself. It’s not really understood whether people with MS have some problem making or absorbing Vitamin D in the first place, or just need a lot more of it for the ongoing repairs.

The theory is that adequate supplementation may reduce your relapse risk. It will not necessarily make you feel any better, so probably best to treat that as a perk you might get if you’re lucky, but not the main reason for taking it.

Magnesium may help with cramp and spasms, but unlike Vitamin D3, I’m not sure there’s any evidence it’s linked to reduced disease activity. So it’s just something that may help with symptom management, rather than actively affecting the disease.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Do you need to type in all caps because of vision problems? If so, fair enough, but if not, it looks a little bit shouty, and is hard to read.

Tina

x

hello

so sorry about the capitals i keep hitting the caps button and dont realise till i read back sometimes sorry.

i do have vision problems yes infact am now regestred partially sighted.

ok onto to the subject, thankyou so much for what you wrote in reply to my post. i bought the lowest dose they had of

magnesium which was 100 mg as my husband often wakes up with really bad foot cramps so thought we would see if helps

him. ive started trying it too but not sure i will continue as my tremors and shaking is rather bad today.

i got them in h&b where i buy my vitamin d. i was thinking that the stength of that im taking may have been a little low i just want to od on them.

well i hope that you are as well as possible. moo

Hi

The vitamin D3 I’ve got is 5000 iu, which equates to a whopping 1,250% of your recommended daily allowance, although I don’t take them every day. I know that too much D3 can build up toxicity, so it’s worth getting a blood test done every now & then just to check your levels aren’t sky high as a result.

The magnesium pills I have say they are 100% of your RDA, although I can’t remember off the top of my head what size that is. I don’t have it every day though. I only take them for restless leg syndrome, which I only get occasionally, so I’ll take one only when needed, and it quickly gets rid of the restlessness.

Dan

P.S, I recommend getting your supplements online, as they’re much cheaper than the high street.

You might find the 10,000ius work out cheaper - and you can take them once a week - or everyday depending on your need.