Symptom query

Hello. I wondered if anyone could help please? 5 weeks ago I first noticed high sensitivity in my fingertips whilst I was in the shower. This remained and I then got numbness in my toes. Over the course of time, the sensation of numbness and tingling has crept up my legs and now is up to my waist. It seems fairly balanced between the right and left side of my body, except for slight numbness in my right cheek. Over the past few nights I’ve had small muscle spasms which wake me as I’m just about to doze off. I feel like I’m going slightly crazy. I’ve had clear blood tests from the Dr, who has covered & discounted vitamin deficiencies, thyroid etc I’ve noticed slight focussing weakness over the past few days but no real weakness in limbs or loss of balance. I’ve a neurology appt Friday but am wondering how to hold things together until then. I’m so sorry to spout a load of symptoms - I know that these things seem to take time and can take a number of tests to get to the problem but I’m really having a hard time trying to keep a perspective on things. I’ve 3 young children who need me there for them and I feel overwhelmed. I wondered if anyone else had started with unremitting symptoms that just gradually increase over time? Thanks Jane

Hello Jane and welcome to the site :slight_smile:

I know that what you are experiencing is very scary, but please believe me that there is an excellent chance that you will recover from these symptoms. There is also a very good chance that you may never have anything like this again.

The way an MS-like attack typically goes is that something starts in a small area (e.g. the toes / feet) and spreads over the next few days/weeks with a few other symptoms joining in for good measure (e.g. poor balance). At some point, the attack reaches a peak, stays the same for a while and then everything gradually starts to get better. From what you’ve said, it sounds like you’re still before or at the peak, but hopefully that means that you’ll begin to notice small improvements soon and you’ll know that you’re on the mend.

The reason that I’ve said “MS-like” is that someone needs to have had at least two of attacks of neurological symptoms to have MS. And the reason for that is that there are actually a number of things that can cause one off attacks that never come back. Obviously someone is developing MS is going to have another attack at some point, but about 50% of people never do.

So, as I already said, there is an excellent chance that your current symptoms will improve and there is a very good chance that you will never experience anything like this again.

The neurology appointment will probably be quite straightforward. The neuro will test your reflexes and sensations, etc, and make you do various things like walk and balance and then decide what tests will be best to see what’s going on. I would imagine that you’ll be referred for an MRI and then it’s a matter of waiting for that (and whatever other test appointments you get given) and then to see the neuro again. Do take some time to think back and remember any other weird things that have happened to you in the past - the neuro will want to know.

And if this does turn out to be MS in the end, please know that it is absolutely NOT the end of the world. The vast majority of people with MS live long and happy lives. You would still be there for your children and their children and maybe even their children. And life really can still be good.

Karen x

Karen Thank you so much for taking time to reply to me - I really appreciate it. I have looked at the forum and there is plenty of great advice on how to prepare for a neurology appointment so I feel that I will be able to know what to expect and how to get the most from my appointment time. Thank you for your kind calm words. I know there are a lot of people dealing with scarier symptoms so I’m grateful to you for your time to reply. Your common sense is very reassuring! Jane xx