Forum

Spongy legs !

A Google search of “spongy legs” has brought me to this helpful site and I’d welcome any comments.

Where to begin ?

A year ago I was leaving a hotel where I’d been having dinner with my family. I’d felt fine until the point of leaving, when I suddenly experienced the strange sensation of “spongy” legs, and knew immediately they didn’t have the strength to support me.
I sat down for a moment before taking another few steps whereupon I had to grab onto someone for support as I was falling over. 999 was dialled and I was taken to hospital.

Laying on the hospital bed I had to carry out basic exercises, including raising my legs individually. Initially this proved impossible for the right one, although full use returned soon after. The following MRI didn’t disclose anything.

For the last few months I’ve been experiencing some very very “odd” feelings, which I’ve attributed to my very well controlled epilepsy -last seizure 1987. I’m awaiting the results of an EEG.

This week I’ve been diagnosed as having slightly high blood pressure (it just goes on and on !!).

NOW TODAY, walking my dogs, I feel fine on the grass but then as soon as I walk on the road my legs suddenly became spongy again ! Thankfully I got a lift home because I don’t think they would have supported me.

Has anyone got any thoughts.

Thanks, Mike

Hello Mike

Interesting, spongy leg’s, I’d not heard that description before, but it could be ascribed to an MS type symptom. The trouble is that it could also relate to other diagnoses. MS has so many symptoms that also occur in other disorders, that it is quite difficult to diagnose.

It seems to me that you should see your GP and get a referral to a neurologist. The problem is of course, that when you had this symptom before, the MRI was clear. I assume you saw a neurologist then? Did they do just a brain MRI or the spine as well? Did the neurologist have any views on what caused your spongy legs before? At least the neurologist will have something to compare with from your last exacerbation of this.

You should perhaps try writing down what sort of ‘odd feelings’ you have been experiencing, a kind of timeline, showing what has happened and when, if symptoms have come and gone or stuck around. That would help both a GP and neurologist in determining what might be the cause.

Obviously, if it get so bad that you find your legs just won’t hold you up, go to A&E.

Best of luck in finding a solution.

Sue