Skin feels sunburnt

Is it MS related. My skin hurts to touch as though I am sunburnt?

Hi Rebecca,

Yes, likely nerve pain, I’m afraid. It was one of my early symptoms, before I was diagnosed.

I got it in my leg. Because it was February, and I hadn’t been abroad, I knew full well it couldn’t be sunburn. Due to family history, I went to the doctor, fearing a blood clot.

Doctor got a bit sharp with me, and rolled her eyes.

I’ve since had an apology about that, because once I was diagnosed, she realised straight away, and said: “Oh, you had that thing with your leg, didn’t you?”

“Yup!”

Tina

x

It’s so strange. It’s new to me. MS never fails to baffle me

Don’t know if it is the same or it, but I get the sensation of someone holding a lighter about 5 inches from my calve. The skin feels normal to the touch, but it does “seem” to be warm in my mind

Don’t know if it is the same or it, but I get the sensation of someone holding a lighter about 5 inches from my calve. The skin feels normal to the touch, but it does “seem” to be warm in my mind

I get this at the top of my left arm and at the front of my right foot sometimes. I have been told that it is not uncommon with MS.

It is just another wierd and (not so) wonderful symptom

Hiya, this was my first symptom. I woke up with it one morning. My thigh was so sore to touch or have clothing rub against it. My friend checked for shingles at first. Over the next 3 days, this disappeared but I awoke to foot drop which progressed to leg heaviness to paralysis. Was admitted to hospital as my gp thought I had a spinal prolapse or a stroke. The rest is. history! This was last July. Nearly fully recovered now. Hope it goes soon hun, it’s a horrible feeling. Dawn x

Yes, definitely an MS thing. I had this 4 years ago and still take amitriptyline for it because every time I try to reduce/stop the tablets it begins to itch/burn again and I’m never going back to that. I spent a sleepless week trying to snatch a few hours’ sleep at a time with one arm hanging out of bed and I couldn’t even bear a cotton sheet covering it. My MS nurse claimed it wasn’t a relapse as it ‘wasn’t stopping me doing anything’ (er, doesn’t sleep count then?) but my neuro logged it as a sensory relapse.

If it persists, give your nurse a call as you will need neuropathic painkillers.

Tracey x

I am undiagnosed waiting mri but it was my first symptom 4years ago. Thought I was getting shingles my arm felt like it had been burnt but nothing there. I then developed speech and memory problems. Saw a neuro who pretty much chucked me out and told me it was quite normal everyone gets it what was I bothering him for type of thing! !! Axx

Undiagnosed also, but one of the first symptoms for me; felt exactly like parts of my foot and ankle were sunburned.

This was one of my relapses, it was a travelling area mainly on my legs and feet and could be anywhere on my body. This was 1.5 years ago now and I still have after effects of it. E.g. today I have it on my left ear.

Please try not to worry, Drs eh? My nurse (not my MS one) was extremely sharp with me when I recently questioned the flu jab she was giving me (on advice from my MS nurse). I subsequently raised a complaint which was overruled. Honestly forgetting that I have MS and that I made her aware of this, where are peoples manners these days?