Sanguine

My first post so please bear with me.
For many years I went to and fro the doctors complaining of dizziness, tiredness, woolly mind,trigeminal neuralgia.
Finally a new doctor seemed to connect all and off I went for a MRI. Result at last, though not one I wanted!
It was explained that all drugs have side effects but people who are, shall we say, more mature are sanguine about the diagnosis.
I don’t know if I’m right in refusing to take drugs that will lessen my quality of life for my few remaining years or not. Think I shall carry on, though periods of vertigo are awful. Anyone found anything that can help please?
Thanks.

I think you need a frank discussion about risks and benefits - for you in particular rather than for people in general. You need a good understanding of how the neurologist would characterise your MS, what stage of disease you are at etc. there are no right or wrong answers, but making sure you have the info you need to make an informed decision is important for your peace of mind. If you have all you need, great. If you need more advice, ask them. I am sorry about your diagnosis and sorry it was so long coming.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, I do weigh up carefully pros and cons before making any decisions and we did discuss the benefits and drawbacks of any medication.
I feel that, unlike someone of a much younger age, who may have many years ahead of them, it is best to enjoy what time I have left without enduring the side effects of medication.
The only question I did have was if anyone had found anything that helps with controlling or easing dizziness, which fortunately for me is not frequent.
Tegratol was used to control my trigeminal neuralgia until I found an article on line written by a research doctor who had suffered it.
Following his instructions I have been free of TN for over two years whereas it had been every five months with gradually reducing intervals.
Thank you.

1 Like

Please do share how you fixed TN - that would be really helpful. Thanks.

Is it guaranteed that DMT’s give life altering side effects?

Capsicum a quick fix for trigeminal neuralgia.
That is the title of the YouTube video by Dr Howard Spencer.
Genius!

1 Like

Dr. Howard Spencer gives all the instructions etc.
He has a YouTube video on TN.
I emailed him and he was very helpful. He was collecting data at the time on who it helped and who it did not.
My GP was sceptical and cuttingly asked how much “this doctor” was charging.
There is no charge, unless he supplies items to cover costs and postage, but everything needed can be purchased easily and for a small amount.
Capsaicin is now being trialled I believe in hospitals for nerve pain.
I felt anything was worth trying to ease the pain of TN.

The professor with whom I had an appointment merely said all medication has side effects.
Guess this might vary from slight headache to anything. Just prefer not to go down that route, or at least it’s not for me at moment.

Hey, yes, I’ve used it! Axsain cream (active ingredient capsaicin), prescribed by my GP. Brilliant stuff. It wasn’t for TN in my case - I’ve never had that, thank goodness, but for stabbing nerve pain round my midriff as part of a relapse. Carbamazapine took the edge off it, but that drug knocked me sideways and I stopped taking it as soon as I could, but I continued to use the topical Axsain very happily ande and was really impressed with it. Mainly prescribed for post-shingles pain, apparently, but my clever GP reckoned it would work for MS nerve pain, and she was right.

This was round my middle though. I find it hard to imagine that it would be safe to use on the face (i.e. near the mucous membranes in the mouth and nose and - particularly - near the eyes). Get even a tiny hint of that stuff in your eyes, and you would be in real trouble. But maybe it’s OK if you’re careful enough?

Well it’s not the cream it’s the he

Well it isn’t the cream and causes no ill effects by being used in the mouth as he clearly explains.
All I can say is it worked for me and hope it does for many others.
TN is not in the mind, as one professional person wrote, anyone who has had TN knows the sheer agony of this condition.
Two and a half years pain free from attacks, one happy person. Long may it continue.

1 Like

Right ho, thanks, I’ll look at the YouTube. I had just assumed that it was the topical cream you were using because I didn’t know there was another delivery mechanism. Whatever route it takes, that active ingredient is great (if hot!) stuff.